The First Date [Tag: Fawkes/Isolde]

All the rest of the Northern Continent that Atricis left behind. Atricis' old Holds can be found within, as well as all the other Holds and Weyrs and old lands left behind.
Kate

Sat May 07, 2016 2:39 am

Questions just ran through K'uavaen's mind, but his conscious always seemed to stop him from asking them. Well, not all of them. Just the ones that his conscious deemed in appropriate, something that might ruin the night. Every time he looked at her, he could tell she was uncomfortable. While it was only a bit uncomfortable, the blue rider found himself not wanting to make it any worse for her. He knew eventually these questions in his head would have to be asked, but he kept telling himself that they did not need to be asked now. Not on the first date. Then again, if he didn't ask these questions, how was he supposed to know more about her? Know if the two of them could be in a relationship? Honestly, the man felt as though he was caught between a rock and a hard place, and he really, really did not like it.

If she had slaves, she must have come from a rich family, although he had honestly kind of already figured that by the way she dressed and spoke and the likes. He didn't know Southern customs all that much, so he listened to what Isolde had to say. They were actually tested in ALL the crafts? And you became a slave if you didn't score well in any of them? What if you just developed a bit slower or something like that? To the bluerider, that just seemed utterly unfair, but then again, that was how the South had apparently always been. They had their own customs and way of life, just as the North did. As Isolde finished, he looked at her for a moment. "Well, that doesn't seem very fair to him, I'm assuming you guys were kind of prepared for it already, but it still had to be a shock..." What else was there to say? He really did not understand their customs, so he couldn't really say anything one way or another. She seemed to be getting a bit emotional about her borhter, near the end, but he couldn't be sure. She was good at hiding her feelings, and he was not the greatest at reading them just quiet yet. Sometimes he could read them, but more often than not, she was a closed book to him.

He looked at his food, playing with it for a moment while Isolde took a sip of her wine. He bit his lip, wrestling with the questions inside of him, trying to not just blurt out the first thing to come to mind. He couldn't even bring himself to take another bite of food at the moment so he just took a sip of his ale. Finally he blurted out, "So is that why you left? Because you didn't agree with your mother's plans for your brother?" He knew it might be a bit straight forward, but, he needed to know HER. He knew eventually it would be time for him to talk, but, his life seemed rather...ordinary compared to Isolde's.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Fawkes
Junior Admin
Title: The Majestic Birb
Pronouns: She/Her, or Birb

Thu May 19, 2016 2:31 am

The journeywoman gave K'uavaen a soft look when he spoke up about her brother. She could tell he was trying to be polite, and she appreciated the sentiment. "Well, yes, we were prepared for that outcome. I'm just glad he stayed with us, instead of mother selling him off to another family." Isolde said quietly, the barest nod of her head as she answered. There was the slightest bite in her voice when mentioning her mother, but it was gone as soon as it came. Taking another bite of her dinner, the dayhandler tried to enjoy some of the taste, to enjoy her meal, but this talk of her past made her stomach unsettled. She didn't want K to know how much this was bothering her though, so put on a proud face and continued on with her head held high.

His next question though, was close enough to the mark that she balked slightly, pausing as she brought another bite to her lips. Her instinctive reaction to such a thought was to lie, to shut down and reveal nothing, not to tell him how close he was. However, that was not the point right now, was it? Honesty, that's what was needed right now, and something that didn't come naturally to the woman, so she took the bite of food while biding herself just another moment in time to word her answer. "That was part of it... but it was more that she had plans for me as well, plans I didn't agree with." Isolde said after gathering herself, and dark eyes couldn't quite bring themselves to look up at him while she confessed that she was nothing but a spoiled child throwing a tantrum. "I know it was selfish...but I never wanted to marry for the family...I wanted to marry for love, if I ever found it." The gray handler added, letting that mask slip just a little bit further as she revealed more than she intended to.
"You are only given one little spark of madness,
... you mustn't lose it"

ImageImageImage
The Lady . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Vixen . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Knight

ImageImageImage
The Matron . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Joker . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Princess

Image Image
The Mariner . ~ * ~ . The Spirit

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #B72334/#C3C3D0 | #181D68
~ Character Tracker ~ | * Marks Tracker *
Kate

Fri May 20, 2016 12:58 am

The blue rider took another sip of his ale as he listened to Isolde. His eyes caught the soft look she gave him, and he just offered her an understanding nod. She was right. At least her brother had gotten to stay with them. Part of him really wanted to reach out and take her hand, or put his hand on her, but the other part of him was telling him she might not want that right now. The main worry he had was that Isolde would just think that he was feeling sorry for her. While part of that was true, he could tell that she also was uncomfortable, and a bit emotional, about talking about this. He just wanted to let her know he was there for her, wanted to comfort her.

A bite of food and another sip of his drink was taken as he watched Isolde again. He once again allowed her time to think, not wanting to pressure her to answer in any way. He knew if he put pressure on her, she might just shut down and not tell him the truth. To be fair though, he was trusting that she was telling him the truth now. Actually, not just trusting, he knew she was. There was no way someone would make up a lie like that about their history. Especially not such an elaborate one.

His eyes studied her once again, but he found himself starring at her and slowly moved his gaze. He didn't want to embarrass her or anything either. He listened carefully, wondering what exactly her mother's plans for her had been. A few moments later he found out. "You mother wanted to arrange a marriage for you? I don't think I would have liked that either..." For a few moments he said nothing. "I...do agree with you. I figured once I found a girl I was crazy and head over heels about, I would think about marriage. Other than that, I...haven't thought about marriage all that much.."

He took another sip of his ale. "So, did you ever meet any of these suitors? Or did you leave before it got to that?" Ok, now he was really starting to dig, even though he knew he shouldn't probably dig much deeper. It was to late now, but eventually he was going to have to try and change the subject if this night was not going to be a total disaster. He took another drink trying to figure out a way to change it, waiting for Isolde's answer.
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Fri May 20, 2016 8:43 pm

Isolde wasn't entirely sure what to expect from K'uavaen, she was only just beginning to know the man and already was opening up to him and telling him things that few were privy to. She knew what her thoughts on the situation were - embittered at her overbearing mother, selfishly proud of what she'd done, regrettably leaving that life behind and her dear father, feeling responsible for Lirad and Merilyn, renewed by the chance of a life all her own. Her running away was the least of her darkest secrets even, but surely it was enough to allow K'uavaen the honesty he deserved without tainting whatever it was they were trying to create together. There were some things about her past that no amount of prying would ever bring to life, and the less he knew about them, the better.

When the bluerider responded by saying he wouldn't like that idea very much either, the southerner glanced up at him with a skeptical gaze. Was he just saying that to placate her, that he was just trying to be nice? But with a single glance, she saw in his blue eyes that there was genuine sentiment and concern there and that hard look in her eyes began to soften. As he continued on about his thoughts on marriage, Isolde leaned back slightly, relaxing her shoulders a little. Though she was still learning more about him, she knew K'uavaen was not just trying to get under her dress, he wanted more than that, wanted to be genuine with her and wasn't doing anything to mislead her. He was a gentle man, a man that had asked to court her properly instead of sneaking around during wherlinghood.

She had to...trust in him.

"I...haven't really thought about it much either since then. I wanted to just live my life without anyone trying to tell me how to live it." Isolde started quietly, her gaze slipping back toward her food as she moved some of the rice around on her plate absently. "I only met one of the suitors she had picked out for me...He was atrocious. A greasy, foulmouthed slob who was the first son of a renowned Master Smith, and that's all my mother saw, his family." The southerner almost gave a shiver as she remembered the young man's face, full of pock marks and a wide gap in his teeth. Looking upon K'uavaen now was much more pleasant though, and the rugged face was one she never minded waking up to. "It was shortly after that meeting...when I decided that I couldn't do it, couldn't live under her roof anymore." The woman in the black admitted softly, reaching for her glass of wine for a sip of the reconstituting beverage, she needed it's courage.
... you mustn't lose it"

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Image Image

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #B72334/#C3C3D0 | #181D68
Kate

Sun May 22, 2016 5:39 pm

His eyes glanced at her, catching the look she gave him. Well, it was a good thing he hadn't said anymore. She just needed time to digest everything. She was beautiful, and he was sure that she had had other men listen to her, just agreeing with her because they knew it meant they would be able to get closer to her, and that would lead to other things. He dared to glance at her again, and a fleeting glimpse of relief came across his features as he saw that the earlier look had been replaced with a more...understanding look. He gave her a small, warm smile.

A small chuckle was given as he listened to her. "Well, I don't blame you there. From what I know, you're not the type of girl who likes to be told what to do anyway. Besides, I really don't think there are many people who like that. I mean, I know if my parents tried to tell me who I could marry, I would be bitter about it as well." Granted, the North wasn't like that, or else K'uavaen would have left long before he had. The blue rider was the type of person who wanted to get married for love. Find the right girl, maybe get his heart broken a time or two. Ok, that last part he didn't really want to happen, but he knew it was bound at some point or another. He couldn't imagine being told that he was supposed to marry this particular person, when they might not even get along at all.

As Isolde talked about the suitors she had met, K'uavaen had to admit that he was a bit surprised that she had only met one. Then again, honestly, who could blame her. Maybe she had only met the one before she became fed up with it4. Although, it sounded to him like she hasd pretty much not wanted anything to do with it from the start.

As she finished, the blue rider reached out and gently took the hand that had reached for the wine, covering it with his for only a moment, as to not stop her from getting a drink. "Well, I guess..I have to admit that I'm glad you didn't like the guy, and I'm glad you decided you didn't want to live like that. Otherwise, I would have never met you.." As he said that, a slight blush crept over his face and he quickly took a sip of his drink. "So...is there anything you'd like to know about me?"
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:51 pm

The woman in the black dress hadn't really planned for the night to reveal such a vulnerability in her, but so far K'uavaen had learned that she had mommy issues, childish tantrums when she didn't get her way, and a tendency to run away from commitments. Granted, that had been turns ago, she was a a different person than she was back in Walled, wasn't she? She'd had a child since then, made a lifetime bonded commitment to Reshi, even starting falling for someone which hadn't turned out as well as could be hoped, but at least she knew she was capable of it. Isolde thought back to the secret she'd divulged to Cas, that despite how attractive and powerful she seemed, she was a lonely woman inside. That part still held true, despite Isadella, or Merilyn, they didn't help to fill that emptiness inside. Reshelde helped, he loved her in a way no one else could, knew all of her secrets, all her desires, all of her and she loved him wholly in return, but it was not the sort of loneliness she felt.

And here was K'uavaen...courting her and speaking with her as a companion, wanting to be something more with her. It was hard though to open up those sorts of feelings again when the last time hadn't gone so well, but if K was anything, he was patient. He'd already waited throughout her wherlinghood, and even during the first date he didn't push her for answers and instead waited until she was ready to speak them. The bluerider had already treated her better than most men, she was not blind to that and his patience was beginning to win over her stubbornness. Slowly but surely, that mask had been slipping during their talk, more and more of the woman beneath peeking through, and still the bluerider was sitting with her, learning about her instead of just trying to get under her dress.

A little part of her began to feel some warmth at that, the barest hint of a genuine smile crossing her face as he spoke about what he'd learned so far, that she was not the sort of woman to take orders how to live her life, and in turn he agreed with her sentiments. Maybe she hadn't exactly done the right thing by running away, stealing two of the family slaves and leaving the rest behind, but just as she was reaching for her glass, a rugged hand laid gently atop hers for a moment. Chocolate eyes fluttered up to K's face as he spoke a little softer this time, genuine, almost...loving...as he said he was glad she'd done what she'd done, or she wouldn't be here today. The barest flicker of that smile returned as she gazed at the bluerider, also glad she'd fled Walled...perhaps even for the same reason. Before he could take his hand away, Isolde curled her fingers around his for just the briefest moments, giving his hand a gentle squeeze before releasing it, a silent way to say 'Thank you for understanding'.

After they each took a restoring sip of their drinks, Isolde leaned back in her seat with a soft, and almost contented sigh. She'd revealed something quite personal, and K'uavaen was still here, still interested and not upset with her in the slightest....It was a weight lifted off her chest and she could relax a little bit more. At his question, the woman in black paused briefly, swirling her wine glass in hand before a mischievous sort of smirk played over her lips. "Well....I told you one of my dark secrets...Do you have any hidden in your closet?" The woman finally said, silently relieved that the conversation was not revolving around her anymore and she could continue to relax a little more as now it was K'uavaen's turn to indulge her.
... you mustn't lose it"

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Image Image

Kate

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:26 pm

The blue rider gave Isolde a soft, encouraging smile. He knew she didn't like to talk about things like this, a lot of people didn't like to talk about themselves. Had he hoped this would happen? Well, to an extent, yes. He wanted to get to know Isolde, and it honestly seemed to him like things were moving in...well....some kind of direction. It had to be a good direction, since she seemed to be telling him things that were a bit difficult for her to talk about, and the fact that he wasn't pressuring her had to be a plus as well. It didn't take long for those thoughts to leave his mind, but they were quickly replaced with new ones. How many other men had tried to court her, or were they just after her body? Had any succeeded before? Had she found someone before and something had happened between them? The man quickly pushed those thoughts aside. No, this was not the time to be thinking about that. This was only the first date, and she was already telling him more than he had expected. Besides, he didn't need to worry about that. To him, in this moment, all that mattered was what was going on now. The past was in the past. He wasn't going to dig into her previous love life. That was just not his style, and it never would be.

His eyes quickly found hers as he felt had hand give his own a squeeze, as if saying thank you. A small smile and a slight nod were given, letting her know he appreciated it, and knew what she was trying to say. Admittedly he had been pleasantly surprised, and a bit shocked, that Isolde had seemed to return the affection, whether it be in a loving way, or just a friendly way. Honestly, the man had not expected her to return it at all. The fact that she had though, gave him even more hope. Maybe this would work out. K had already made the decision that if this didn't work out, he would still remain friends with her. He didn't think he'd ever been so adamant about something in his entire life. If it worked out, tha was great. If it didn't, that was fine as well. There would be no hard feelings from him, and he found himself hoping that Isolde felt the same way.

The smirk that came across her face was quickly meant with one of K'uavaen's own smirks. That smirk didn't last long though as he heard her question. Not that it really bothered him, but he wanted to make sure she knew he was giving her a serious answer, and not just goofing around. "Honestly, I have no skeletons..." After pondering a moment, he continued, "I mean, I grew up like any normal Weyrbred child. I was raised in the crèche, and my parents visited as often as they could, although to a young kid like me, it never seemed like enough anyway. They visited more than most parents though, and I knew they loved me. It just, sucked not being able to be with them all the time.."

Another sip of his drink was taken as the man pondered. "Although I don't call this a skeleton perhaps...I still kind of regret leaving, to a point. I miss my home, and my family. I know it has been better for me since I got to see new places, try new things, and I always had Synsith with me, so I knew I'd be alright. I also got to meet new people...so of course that is obviously a plus too. " The last part was said a bit teasingly. "Other than that though...I'm pretty much your normal guy. An open book if you will.."

He took another small bite of his food after he finished, waiting to see if she had any more questions for him. He wasn't exactly sure what all she wanted to know, but he would answer her questions the best that he could.
Fawkes
Junior Admin

Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:00 am

For the moment, Isolde was content to enjoy her meal while listening to K'uavaen explain his side of the story. While she nibbled on the fish and picked at the vegetables, she didn't have to worry over what she said, and instead could focus on someone elses' past for a change. The journeywoman wasn't surprised to hear that K had led what sounded like a fairly typical childhood for a Weyr, and she gathered he'd always had a good relationship with his parents. It was rather ... refreshing to hear that he had no secrets, no hidden agendas or past baggage such as she did. Perhaps his only regret was one that she could share in, because leaving home is rarely easy. At least he'd had Synsith when he left, a true bonding of hearts, and Isolde could imagine that life would have been so much easier if she'd had Reshelde earlier on.

I'm here now. I'll always be with you now. Came the loving voice of her bonded, and she could feel the truth of those words seeping into every fiber of her being. Isolde had never loved anyone the way she felt for Reshelde, but even that had taken time to settle, to grow into the strength they had together. If K'uavaen was serious about his endeavor, she hoped he had enough patience for the slow and steady race he was in. The bluerider was certainly off to a good start though, and for all the secrets shared this day and the fact that he was still smiling, still understanding, well that had to be worth something. He was a good man, one that many women would be envious to have and yet he had to choose to court the one woman that wouldn't succumb so easily...yet, part of her began to second guess her stubbornness.

Their dinner seemed to pass rather simply after that, no more awkward and heavy discussions and instead seemed to banter back and forth about some of the happier memories of their past. Like when she and Deloris had found the abandoned feline cubs and she'd gained a friend, or when she'd caught Lirad sneaking out to see a girl, or the time that Merilyn had been sneaking sweets for them to share late at night when they were younger. It was easier to talk about such things and she'd learned a few touching stories from K'uavaens' past as well, so that perhaps she felt a little closer to him, because she'd never really told many people about such things. Opening up wasn't the easiest thing to do for her, but for now it felt natural with the bluerider. After unloading a heavy weight off her chest, the rest of her stories seemed like pebbles in comparison.

By the time dinner was over, she'd nearly forgotten where they were, and as the woman in black stepped outside once more, she paused a moment to take in the sights of Benden once more. K'uavaen reminded her of the promise of a tour, but as a lithe arm slipped through his and she pressed up against his side, she could only think of one place she'd like to see. "If we plan to stay the night, perhaps you can give me that tour in the morning." The woman purred softly as her chocolate gaze fluttered to his own coyly, the curl of her lips rather devious and suggestive. It didn't take much more to convince the man to postpone, and instead they only walked until they found a rather nice Inn with a large stable and paddock where Synsith and Reshi could also bed down for the night if they wanted to.

A dragon in Benden was a common enough occurence, yet the innkeeper was skeptical about the day wher, having never seen such a creature before, and the sight of those fanged teeth were imposing to anyone. However, a few choice words and a few extra marks on the table, from Isoldes' own pockets, was enough to keep the old mans' worries at bay for one night. Isolde mumbled a few words under her breath about the man as she moved back outside to make sure Reshelde would be comfortable and taken care of for the night, much as K'uavaen spent a few moments with the pale blue. The woman tended to the gray hunter and made sure he had everything he needed, including a few good scratches where his hide was itchy, or a few kisses upon that dark brow and sweet promises.

After the dragonkin were bedded comfortably, Isolde turned to the bluerider with a rather knowing smile on her face. Hand in hand, they walked back into the Inn, eyes only for each other as they climbed the stairs to their room. Once that door was closed, what happened behind it was known only to the blossoming couple, an evening of paradise all their own. It was the beginning to a long road, but each step would be worth it in the end.

{Fin}
... you mustn't lose it"

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

Image Image