PLOT: Scouting Mission

All the rest of the Northern Continent that Atricis left behind. Atricis' old Holds can be found within, as well as all the other Holds and Weyrs and old lands left behind.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:18 am

Tag: Elysia
Zenjarth had been ready to dive, to take down the beast before it could disappear from their view. This might be their one chance to get their claws on one, to study it up close and perhaps come up with a better course of action down the road. Nothing, he was determined, could prevent them from moving forward, only something did in the form of the much smaller Kelpieth. The bronze's initial reaction was to snap, but L'van pulled him back the moment the words hit his mind. They weren't just from the blue, but from his rider as well, causing a mix of voices that L'van was certain he'd never experienced before in all his Turns riding. The creature wasn't threatening? He looked down and beyond the smaller dragon, saw the shadow still swimming in the water below as though waiting for the riders to continue forward.

It was now or never. Only he could make the decision as to whether or not they attacked or followed the intuition of one of his riders. Doing so could be the wrong move, both rider and dragon knew that. But they also knew that if Elysia and Kelpieth were correct... He trusted the mother, so why not trust the daughter as well? Zenjarth's eyes whirled red as he waited for a response form his rider, who was suspiciously quiet. And then L'van did something that surprised the bronze - he nodded in Elysia's direction, then spoke to her, and only her, through his bronze. I am taking a chance on what you're telling me. If you're wrong, you could be placing us all in grave danger. If you're right, you may very well lead us toward success during this mission. However, keep in mind that you and I will speak at length once we return to the Weyr due to your actions.

With that said, he spoke a final time to her, to the rest of the group to ensure they knew what their Weyrleader was doing. I'm entrusting you to help lead us forward. So lead us but stay linked to Zenjarth.

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —
Isilsk

Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:02 pm

Lorcan and Kitiara you manage to lift the large, dead animal into the sky. Water, blood, and other foul smelling liquids drip off it's rotund body back into the ocean. Once you two are high enough you can take it between back to New Atricis. Obviously, the sight of you two hauling in such a large and strange looking creature is stirring some heads, that of dragonkin and people alike. By the time you two get the creature on the ground near the beastcraft hall there is a large group of people already beginning to gather around the dead animal. You can hear people already calling for others to go get the master beastcrafter to come examine the creature.

L'van, Elysia, and N'can, you all wait for several moments watching the water where the small serpent had dove. The slowly churning water remained still for several moments before suddenly the small serpent burst through the surface, jumping a good five feet up before falling back in. Just before it fell back into the water, the serpent noticed the strangers staring at it. The long, slender body stopped it's racing and playing through the waves in favor of raising it's head out of the water to stare back. "...ends? N... arm? Ju.. .ant .eed oth.. .ups." The tiny voice can be heard by Elysia again before the creature swims off again towards shore, this time more slowly and keeping an eye on the dragons above it.

Lorcan and Kitiara:
  • 1. Untie the creature and stay to answer the master beastcrafter's questions.
    2. Untie the creature and explain you have to go back immediately

Those hovering above the small serpent:
  • 1. Continue to follow
    2. Attack it now

Elysia:
  • 1. Relay the bits and pieces you've heard.
    2. Try to get closer to maybe hear better
    3. Both
Kate

Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:42 am

Dark eyes stayed focused on what was ahead of him, but the bluerider could not help but feel like he had abandoned Kit and Lorcan. Maybe he should have stayed behind and helped them with..well..he guessed the "monster" for lack of a better term at this particular moment. None of them had any idea what it was, so honestly, to him, monster seemed kind of fitting. He quickly pushed those thoughts to the back of his mind though. No, the two of them would be fine. They would have said something if they really needed his help.

As he and Synsith caught up with the group, it seemed that they had stalled a bit. For a moment, he looked around, wondering why. It took him a moment to realize that they were waiting for something, although he still didn't know what, and he didn't really want to disrupt anything. He had merely followed them incase they needed an extra hand.

Finally he could see the serpent like shadow and he just starred at it, waiting to see if IT was going to do anything, or if THEY were going to make the first move. He laid a calming hand on Synsith's neck, more to calm himself than his dragon as he awaited further instructions.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Fawkes
Junior Admin
Title: The Majestic Birb
Pronouns: She/Her, or Birb

Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:28 pm

Tag ~ L'van and others
Doing both, Relay and Follow closer

The bluerider watched her Weyrleader with a cautious gaze, wondering just how far she'd over stepped her bounds, if L'van was even going to listen to her or continue with his original plan and still attack the poor creature. It stunned her just as much as it surprised everyone else what she'd done, to fly between the Wing and this serpent, to defend it because she'd Heard it and now asking them all to trust her. It was a thin shred of evidence, nothing reliable, just a gut feeling that this wasn't right, that if the serpent had wanted to attack them it would have already. Elysia knew that likely, one way or another, she was going to be trouble. Either she was wrong and this was the very same deadly serpents that attacked the ships, or she was disobeying her Weyrleaders' orders and now encouraging others to do the same.

At the sight of the bronzeriders' nod, there was a wash of relief that ran over her, that he was listening, that they would follow her instincts. Then the voice of Zenjarth entered her mind and she knew it was meant only for her to hear regardless of her gift. She knew what could happen if she was wrong, and she would never want to risk anyones' hide but her own, so she already had an idea for that too. If she was right, she would be overjoyed, yet humble, for she would not want to risk further ire from her Weyrleader, and from the sounds of it, there was already to be a lengthy discussion about her actions already. That thought, made the young woman gulp nervously, suddenly finding her palms sweaty as she gazed up at the large bronze and his rider, their Weyrleader whom she'd deliberately disobeyed. Oh sweet Faranth, she hoped she was right. Yes sir, we understand. We will report as soon as we land back in the Weyr. The rider half made sure to add, to appease the man and make sure he knew that they knew how much trouble they were in now.

The next command from the bronze sounded more as if it had been broadcast to all, so they would understand that L'vans' orders had changed, that Elysia would lead them forward now. Once more, the bluerider felt that swell of trepidation in her chest, but she swallowed it down and gave a firm nod to her Weyrleader and the Wing, before turning back to the surface of the water and looking for the serpent once more. The water was beginning to still, and the shadow couldn't be seen anymore, so that for a moment Elysia began to believe that maybe she'd just imagined it all, that she was going to be in deep shit when they returned empty handed for no reason other than her gut.

However, the longer she stared, she soon saw a dark spot beginning to grow once more and a moment later the serpent burst out of the water, giving them all a good look at it's sleek and silvery body before it plunged back down, splashing almost playfully. It seemed that now, the sea creature seemed to have noticed them this time, and when it's head emerged above the water once more, Elysia nudged Kelpieth to hover lower and get a little closer to the creature. Once again, she heard a voice, one not belonging to any of the dragons and her eyes widened as she stared down at the creature. Was it truly this serpent that was trying to talk to her? The words were disjointed, she only caught bits and pieces of what it was saying, but when it took off again, it seemed to look back at her as if to make sure she was following.

With another nudge, the watery blue dragon began to follow the serpent, and Elysia encouraged him to get even lower this time, to see if getting closer to the creature meant that she could hear it better. The young woman took a moment to collect her thoughts, to process what she heard and hoped to relay it to the others as best she could. We heard it again...said something like....ends? N...arm? Ju, ant, eed, oth....ups. I think it's trying to ask if we are friends...Maybe just, want, need, others...ups? I'm not sure. We'll get closer and try to communicate with it. The blue and his rider relayed to the whole Wing as they dipped down even further toward the serpent.

Elysia couldn't be sure if it would hear her or not, but maybe with Kelpies' help, they might be able to get through to it. As they lowered down, they stayed a cautious distance in case the serpent decided to make any sudden movements, but close enough that she knew she could project her voice. The watery blue dragon gave a friendly rumble, a purring sound in his throat and give a playful dip of his head and even dropped his talons down to skim against the surface of the water. Elysia's face was all smiles for the creature as they flew along side it, granting her a good luck at the creature before she decided to take her chances. "We wont hurt you!" Unless you try to hurt us... She thought, but didn't add. "We have never seen you or your kind before....Can you hear me? I think I can hear you." Elysia called out, as Kelpieth added another kind warble, hoping to instill that they meant no harm.

{Kit to come later....}
"You are only given one little spark of madness,
... you mustn't lose it"

ImageImageImage
The Lady . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Vixen . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Knight

ImageImageImage
The Matron . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Joker . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Princess

Image Image
The Mariner . ~ * ~ . The Spirit

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #B72334/#C3C3D0 | #181D68
~ Character Tracker ~ | * Marks Tracker *
Ember

Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:30 pm

Tag: Elysia and Others
Continue to Follow
There was uncertainty rolling about in L'van's stomach as he followed Elysia's lead. There would be no attacking the serpent for now - he was placing so much trust and faith in the young woman - but a single wrong movement and he wouldn't hesitate to give the order to set his riders upon it. He wasn't going to lose anyone today, certainly not to one of the serpents. Loss had been thick in the air when they arrived; he would not have anything done to add upon it. This makes me uncomfortable. The waiting. What if Kelpieth's rider is wrong?

Then L'van would deal with that in the ways he'd already thought about. If nothing happened to the girl, then there would be an even stricter talk when they returned to the Weyr. As it was, she was looking at some form of punishment for defying his orders, even if he appreciated the gumption she'd shown in "standing up" to him. That had taken guts and he respected her bravery in the face of something that could be quite dangerous for them all. I have a feeling, Zenjarth, that if this was a trap, we would know about it by now. If it turns out I'm wrong, if it turns out Elysia is wrong, we will deal with it. Remember, the others are to flee if that happens. We will cause a distraction to allow them to escape.

He didn't fear the idea of death itself - it would have been a situation worth dying for - but he did fear the loss of any of his riders. Just keep an eye on the water, and let Kelpieth know I expect to be kept in the know about anything he and his rider discover about the beast.

The bronze didn't mean to distract the girl, so he spoke as gently as possible while projecting his voice at her and Kelpieth. L'van wishes for you to keep him informed of what is happening with the serpent. He doesn't care how minuscule the information might be, he wants to know. I expect the same. Firm and without room to question his words. He was being as harsh as need be, quite unlike L'van whom the bronze believed might be acting a little too trusting. Zenjarth, on the other hand, wouldn't believe the serpent held no ill will until the situation was over with. Simple as that. And if his rider, if Kelpieth and his, disagreed with him, that was their own problem, not his. For now we are to follow you. Don't let us down you two.

— Ray Bradbury —
Parker
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:12 am

2. Untie the creature and explain you have to go back immediately

The crowd of people were soon gathered around the creature. Once Hydranth was landed, Lorcan quickly dismounted after untying the ropes. "Excuse me, please, let me through." He asked politely as he gently pushed his way through the people that were now standing over the creature. Some began to ask him questions that he didn't have the answers to. "I'm not sure. No, we didn't kill it. We found it dead. We can only guess that the sea serpents killed it." So and so forth he answered the questions as best he could. Lorcan was surprised that people were sticking around with the awful the smell the creature was giving off. "Is someone getting the master beastcrafter?" He asked as he put his end of the rope on top of the creature. No doubt they'd have to get other dragons to drag it if the beastcrafter wished.

Lorcan head back to Hydranth then and mounted. "Kit, I'm heading back. They may need help with whatever they were following." He informed her. She offered to stay there and speak with the beastcrafter. The blue bugled a small warning so people were out of the way before he launched himself back into the air. It wasn't long before they went between and was once again back out over the ocean.

Hydranth catch up to the others and ask what is going on. Lorcan asked as the blue sped ahead to where the others were. We have taken the dead creature back to the weyr, but we wanted to come back to help. Can you fill us in on what is happening? The blue asked of all of the others.
ImageImageImageImage
Zaynallen | C'sian | Sid'nis | Locke
ImageImageImageImage
Najden | Kisle'vis | Corbin | Calivander |

.::..::..::..::..::..
Altreis

Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:50 am

Tag: Lorcan/Hydranth
What was happening was utterly fascinating. Despite his worries N'can couldn't help feeling every bit as curious as his blue now. The serpent finally seemed to notice them but its behavior was more cautious than anything, certainly not aggressive. Neither was it happily playing however. Still it was not attacking, even continued to move towards the shore eventually. Though it was slower and watching them, it seemed content to continue with whatever it was doing. What exactly was it doing though? What could a serpent of the sea want with the land?

Thankfully Elysia and Kelpieth were kind enough to clue them in, at least as much as anyone could. Even the HAD bluerider couldn't pick up more than snatches here and there, incomplete words that were gibberish. The blue and his rider filled in the blanks as best they could but even then it didn't quite make sense.

Not all of it maybe but the first bit sounds about right, Violath murmured thoughtfully. Look at it down there. It's watching us but it isn't trying to attack. I can imagine it wanting to know if we're friends or enemies here to hurt it. Or maybe it is telling us that it does not want to harm us. Either way makes sense. I don't think this serpent is our enemy...but it is strange that we can't hear it better, especially if it's trying to talk to us. Oh look! Elysia and Kelpieth are trying to talk to it!

They definitely had Violath's attention now-at least until another blue joined the group. A quiet trill of greeting was given to Hydranth, Violath banking to glide near his fellow blue. And Lorcan! Though they were hardly friends and it was rather forward of him N'can could not help a small smile aimed Lorcan's way. He had had so much trouble getting into the air but none would guess it now. That was a very impressive achievement, more than N'can had ever managed in his pathetic life. Maybe someday...or he would at least help his wonderful, sweet blue accomplish great things.

You really are too hard on yourself, Violath sighed into N'can's mind.

To Hydranth, he said: For now we are watching and waiting. This serpent...Elysia is actually picking up parts of words from it. She and Kelpieth are trying to talk to the serpent and I hope they succeed. It seems different from the ones in the reports. Nothing about it seems violent, only playful and happy earlier and now cautious but still not aggressive. Although why it keeps going towards shore is a mystery...maybe it wants or needs something there, though what I cannot fathom.

Babble a bit more behind the Weyrleader's back, N'can thought glumly. He glanced anxiously towards L'van and Zenjarth, worried he and Violath would get in trouble for the blue's honest enthusiasm and curiosity. It said something for how interested in the serpent Violath was that the blue missed N'can's thought, didn't try to correct him.
Image Image Image Image Image
Isilsk

Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:52 pm

The small serpent looked up at the larger dragon. It was fascinating. How could just beasts hang in the air like that? Sure she'd seen wherries near beaches fly, but they were small. This thing was HUGE! She had heard stories about them, from the glint, they were suppose to be dangerous. Mother had told her they weren't. That there had been a misunderstanding and she was going to try and fix that. Mother was so good and wonderful. She missed her so badly, but she had promised to be back, so she was sure she would be back soon. She lowered in the water until just her eyes showed. She spoke slowly, but it was obvious they hadn't heard her. So she did what all children would do...she screamed her words at them. I can hear you! Never seen you before either. You are not going to hurt us? You are so big. Why are you so big? Would you like to meet my brothers and sister? We are waiting for mother to come back, but it would be nice to make new friends. Follow me."
The little white serpent led whoever wished to follow back towards the beach, to a little cove where soft warm sand was. Yuvaanavis, Maetovis, Nanvas!! I have brought friends! They are the ones mother was going to go talk to. Well...like the ones Mother was going to talk to. They can hear! They don't wish us harm! Mother was right about them! Won't she be so happy when she returns?! The one in the water joined a group of three others who were sunbathing while piled on each other on the beach. There was enough room behind them for the dragons to land. I knew mother had to be right!! I told you Yuvaanavis. Let's not be rude and introduce ourselves, silly siblings. My name is Nanvas. The paler gray one on the beach spoke to the dragons. I'm Maetovis.. The darker gray said. I'm Yuvaanavis and you didn't tell me nothing, Maetovis. Finally the one that had led them spoke up. My name is Wystavas. Our mother is Yuavas, have you seen her? Our glint is nearby too. I could go get them.
There is only one option here....TALK WITH THE BABIES!! Due to the fact that the Scouting and Escort threads happened at the same time, it is highly unlikely that your characters would know about the mother. However, both parties do know about each other...so communication is possible. That would also mean getting to crush these still sweetums hearts. I also want to give a big shout out to Shai for drawing these little cuties for us since the templates weren't done.
Ember

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:49 am

Tag: Elysia
Zenjarth was certain he'd heard something coming from one of the dragons behind him. Violath, wasn't it? he bronze craned his neck to look back at the blue and eye him for a moment before facing down toward the serpent again. Nothing was said after that, nothing needed to be said, he felt. But he did speak to his rider, finding it curious that this particular serpent wasn't attacking them like they had other dragons and riders. This is no going to go over well with Ista. Or some of the families of the sailors that were lost.

It was something L'van already knew. Ista, and other Weyrs, had lost riders to the serpents. And here he was entertaining one of his rider's because of some suspicion she had. No matter what happened, whether his decision was found to be wrong or right, there were going to be politics involved that would likely echo around for a little period of time. He would have to speak to Eavan as soon as they returned to the Weyr, maybe even pull Elysia into the meeting, since she was the one that had had first contact with the creatures. But nothing was certain right now, and nothing would be until-

The shock of the loud mind in his sent his reeling back for a second, and then he straightened both physically and mentally. The old man was cracking a smile as he regarded the enthusiastic youth and he let out a breath, his answer known. Elysia had been right not to attack, and he would stand by her through everything. He would take any blame that was tossed in the circle over the fact that these creatures weren't destroyed. I'm not going to lie. He told Zenjarth, as they started to follow the white serpent. I'm curious now. They aren't anything like the reports claimed them to be.

They were met by three others, both looking equally frightening and he slid down the harness until he landed on the sand below. What did one say to a group of creatures that, a handful or two of moments ago, he'd been ready to see dead? "Hello, I was going to murder bomb you all, sorry about that. No hard feelings, yeah?" didn't seem like the proper thing to say, so he looked to Elysia, and set a hand on her shoulder. He would start there, and by the time he was finished, perhaps he'd have an answer to the rest of his indecision. "You were right, and I can admit fully that I was wrong. We still need to talk, but thank you for stepping forward the way that you did."

— Ray Bradbury —
Parker
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:00 pm

Lorcan and Hydranth waited patiently as Elysia and the creature seemed to talk. Are you hearing any of it, Hydranth? He asked curiously as they moved a little closer. It's a little broken, but yes I can. It...her...is saying they've never seen the likes of us before. She wants us to follow her to shore to meet her siblings. Lorcan...these are babies and they're intelligent. Hydranth informed his rider. The last sentence he spoke was heavy with meaning. If these were the babies of the things attacking ships and they were intelligent, that meant the adults also had to be. Fuck, Hydra...this is going to be a shit-storm to figure out. Follow after. Lorcan said, a very bad feeling began to over come him. The blue flew after the others until they reached the shore where there was three other small ones. There was room behind them on the beach so Hydranth landed there near to Zenjarth. Lorcan slowly dismounted and moved to stand next to his weyrleader.

"Weyrleader, they said their mother was going to go talk to some of us. What if she approaches a ship?" He asked, leaving his worry thick in his voice. "How could we have missed these things are..." He was hesitant to say it, but it needed to be said. "They're like dragons. They're at least as smart as them, right?" His dark eyes looked between L'van and Elysia to see what they were thinking. He was no expert on diplomatic relations, but something told him that any adult that happened to come back here probably would not be too happy about them being this close to their young. "Any idea how old they are, Elysia? They seem to have taken a liking to you."
ImageImageImageImage
Zaynallen | C'sian | Sid'nis | Locke
ImageImageImageImage
Najden | Kisle'vis | Corbin | Calivander |

.::..::..::..::..::..