PLOT: Scouting Mission

All the rest of the Northern Continent that Atricis left behind. Atricis' old Holds can be found within, as well as all the other Holds and Weyrs and old lands left behind.
Kate
Posts: 1421
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:27 am

Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:51 pm

K'uavaen could not stop the look on his face as he smelled something horrible. It smelled like...rotting something, but he couldn't exactly place his finger on it. The blue rider did not remember ever smelling something like that before. It was not the kind of odor you could really forget. The young man had to hold his breath for a moment and then just try to do whatever he could to get the smell out of his mind so he didn't throw up or anything. Eventually, he grew a bit more accustomed to it, and it wash't as bad, but no matter what, it was still a terrible smell.

Lorcan's voice reached his ears and he quickly nodded. "I agree, we have to get closer.." Before K'uavaen could say anything, Lorcan basically volunteered to go down there and check it out. For a moment, a frown came to the young man's face. Should he let him do it? He had just graduated not to long ago, if memory served, and he didn't want him to get hurt. In that moment of hesitation though, even just that brief instant, Lorcan was already getting ready to go down.Well, there went that idea.

Dark eyes watched Lorcan carefully as he lowered himself down. Its not that he didm' trust the other blue rider, he didn't trust whatever was down there. If Lorcan got in trouble, it was not going to be easy for Kit and himself to get down there to help him. After a few moments, Hydranths voice reached them and K moved in closer to try and look, and quickly shook his head. Synsith relayed the message, while his rider looked over at Kitara, wondering she she had ever seen anything like this.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Fawkes
Junior Admin
Posts: 1144
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:03 am
Title: The Majestic Birb
Pronouns: She/Her, or Birb
Contact:

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:59 pm

Image
Tag L'van
Following the Shadow


The blue pair devoutly followed their Weyrleader, and even though Kelpieth fell behind a little as they raced the watery shadow, neither of them were willing to give up and leave their Weyrleader to fend for himself. Her mother would never forgive her if anything happened to L'van on her watch, so Elysia spurned her mount to fly faster, harder and keep up with the bronze and the retreating shadow.

After a while, the shade became darker as it neared the surface, until it's silvery body breeched the surface and ripples of waves and foam flowed away from it. Elys stood in her saddle to get a better look, and it was most definitely one of those nasty serpents she'd heard so much about...but surely this one wasn't capable of sinking a ship, it looked too small for that. The bluerider was curious about it, wondering what it was even doing among that wreckage, and where it was heading to know...was it trying to lead them into a trap? Was it even smart enough for that?

Kelpieth kept pace with the bronze dragon, and though his rider was watching the serpent below, the blue dragon was watching his Leader and wondering what the next plan of action was. He could feel Elysia prying him to get closer to see a little better, but the dragon was far more wary than that and even moved up a little higher into the sky instead. The girl's gaze moved from the serpent to her Weyrleader once more, and whether or not the beast had seen them yet or not, she didn't want to call attention to them, so she spoke through their dragons instead to keep their chase silent. This looks too small to be what we're after, sir...but maybe it could lead us to it's nest? Or should we take it down now and bring it back to the Weyr to examine? The blue pair asked, wanting to follow their Weyrleaders' order and not be too presumptuous with their actions.

-----------------------------

Image
Tag K'uavaen & Lorcan
Searching the rest of the wreckage


Susanoth had already begun to near the wreckage, when Kit heard the bluerider call out of her name as Synsith also moved in for a better look. The woman cast a glance over to the bluerider and gave him a fitful nod to show that she had his back as they circled in even closer to the unknown. Another joined them, the light blue hide of Hydranth and a glance was spared to his rider Lorcan as the trio worked together now to see what was hiding under the sail.

Lorcan called out to them, and K'uavaen responded, but her gaze was fixed on the unknown mass. She could smell it, even from here, and knew the scent of death and decay, and knowing whatever it was most likely dead, did not ease her conscience at all, and instead only seemed to make her more wary. "Be careful!" She called out as Lorcan lowered the rope to the wreckage. Kit was a little leery to let Lorcan go down and investigate by himself, but Susanoth was too big to get as close to the wreckage as Hydranth could, so she would provide cover should the man need to retreat in a hurry.

The striped zultanite flew in a tight circle around the hovering blue and while Kit was watching Lorcan down below, Susanoths' faceted gaze was watching everything else, looking down into the flotsam and jetsam all around them for any sign of danger so she could sound the alarm. When the bluerider pulled back the sail, and they all got a good look at the dead creature stranded on the wreckage, Kitiara had the same reaction as Lorcan, an exclamation slipping from her lips as well. A quizzical look was given to K'uavaen, before looking back down at the creature and Lorcan.

We've never seen anything like it before... The zultie passed onto both of the riders on behalf of her own. We should probably find a way to bring that one back to the Weyr though. No one would believe us without seeing it for themselves... The zultanite pair said, hovering in place beside Hydranth for a moment or two. Kit glanced at her wingmate, and then around at the rest of the wreckage with a curious quirk of her brow. If there's one, there's probably more...I'll search the wreckage a little further see if there are any more of these creatures lingering about. She informed them, and waited for acknowledgement before backwinging away from the two blues and moved out over the rest of the wreckage, though she made sure to keep the two of them within clear sight should she spot anything, or they needed help, or trouble came calling.
"You are only given one little spark of madness,
... you mustn't lose it"


ImageImageImage
The Lady . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Vixen . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Knight

ImageImageImage
The Matron . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Joker . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Princess

Image Image
The Mariner . ~ * ~ . The Spirit

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #B72334/#C3C3D0 | #181D68
~ Character Tracker ~ | * Marks Tracker *
User avatar
Parker
Moderator
Posts: 3068
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:46 pm
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him
Age: 33

Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:26 pm

Image
2. Staying at the wreckage

Lorcan brought out his handkerchief and tied it around his nose and mouth to try and stop some of the awful smell from getting to him. Then he went about uncovering the rest of the dead creature. While he was no beastcrafter, he would wager to guess that this creature was not the dangerous sort. Thankfully the head was in tack, so they could see that it didn't appear to have sharp teeth. If anything it's head sort of resembled the beasts the traders used to pull their large wagons. A larger sized wave almost knocked Lorcan off balance, but he managed to keep on his feet. Please be careful, Lorcan. I know I could just pull you out of there, but still....there is a few things you co uld hurt yourself on. I doubt Isiana would be happy if you hurt yourself. Hydranth stated. Though none could see it, Lor gave a wolfish grin at his blue's worry. I promise, I'll be careful. Faranth knows I don't want Isiana's wrath coming down on me. She wasn't all that happy we decided to come on this mission. Lorcan didn't want to jinx anything, but things between him and Isi were going well. He hoped they would continue to go that way.

Kitiara's suggestion of bringing it back was a smart one. They knew so little of the creatures in their oceans no doubt the beastcrafters would love a chance to study this thing. Lorcan looked at what they had to work with to get this thing out of here and formulated a plan which he had Hydranth relay to K'uavaen and Kitiara. There is enough rope here. Lorcan thinks he can tie enough of it around the creature for us to be able to lift it out of here. Lorcan began gathering up the rope that was scattered about the wreckage. He didn't want to use his own rope since he felt better knowing Hydranth could quickly get him out of there if need be. Once he had enough he moved to start tying it around the creatures head and tail. When that was done, and he was thoroughly soaked, he climbed back up his rope onto Hydranth. He held the ends of three ropes and told his blue to move closer to Kitiara and K'uavaen so he could toss each of them one end. Let's hope that this thing isn't heavier than it looks. You two ready to drag this creature out of the wreckage?
ImageImageImageImage
Zaynallen | C'sian | Sid'nis | Locke
ImageImageImageImage
Najden | Kisle'vis | Corbin | Calivander |

.::..::..::..::..::..
User avatar
Ember
Moderator
Posts: 2246
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:50 am
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them
Age: 36

Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:27 am

Image
Tag: Elysia/Kelpieth
The bronze was so intent on following the creature that he failed to take in account the much smaller blue wouldn't be able to keep up. L'van gripped the harness harder as he attempted to get a better look. This might be something, and if they lost track of the creature, or it tried to leave the water and take down Zenjarth... It caught in his throat as he watched the creature surface, water sliding off of its body as it finally arose. Without a doubt it was one of the serpents that had been wreaking havoc upon these waters. Whether it was small or not, he didn't trust it enough to let it out of his sights. It could still take down one of them, or one of the ships. Perhaps it even had a way of calling out to a much larger pack of them. That soured his mood considerably more, and gave Zenjarth's neck a pat, ready to issue a command.

Zenjarth beat him to it, but there was no sense of accomplishment in the bronze's tone as he spoke. He was all business, no play, and as he spoke to his rider he let himself rise higher until he was at an even level with the blue. Kelpieth thinks it looks too small to be one of those things that have been attacking ships. It was rather clear that he agreed. L'van sensed the "but" coming along before his dragon even continued to speak. But he thinks it might be able to lead us to a nest. I think so too, L'van. There's an issue though - if we do that, what if it escapes? What if we miss out on our chance to bring one of them back to the Weyr?

That would mean one less. But there were still far more of them out there. If they went ahead and followed it, at least for a time, there might be the possibility of combating more of them. There might even be the chance to destroy a nest if that turned out to be where the creature was heading. The decision, in the end, was L'van's call to make. He glanced around to see what riders had followed them before nodding, his mind made up. Tell them that we should follow, but to remain at the ready to defend or charge. If we see the chance to take it back with us, before it can escape, I want us to take it. He paused, because another possibility came to him. Zenjarth seemed to sense it, even before L'van let out a soft "Shit!" of dismay. Caution, caution always. The son of a bitch could be leading us into a trap. Tell them to be ready to blink back to the Weyr if that happens. We'll make time for them if it comes to that.

There was a pause, as if both dragon and rider were coming to the conclusion that they might not make it out of this situation alive. But they agreed - they wouldn't let any of their riders take charge if they happened to find an area thick with the beasts. Listen up. He regarded Kelpieth first, since the blue was the one to speak to him. L'van wants us to follow it. He says if it starts to dive back in, we're to rush it as a group to bring it up and return to the Weyr with it. If it takes us to a place where there are eggs, we're to destroy them. He made sure he was watching the beast, made sure he didn't take his eyes from it. This was the time for vigilance if ever there was one. Use caution, always use caution, and if we happen to run into more of them... if this one is leading us into a trap, be prepared to return to the Weyr. Me and L'van will buy time for you to do so.
Image

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —
User avatar
Isilsk
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:12 am

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:16 am

Continuing to search the wreckage yields little other than more broken pieces of wood. The one dead creature seems to be the only one left a victim of this carnage. The ropes tied around the head and tail of the creature seem to hold. However, the dead weight proves to be heavier than it looks. Hydranth will not be able to carry it himself if the intention is to bring it back to New Atricis. Lorcan, Kitiara, and K'uavaen can see and hear what is going on with L'van and Elysia. (Click the link for scale size of the creature in comparison to a blue whale and a gold dragon roughly 60ft long.)

The small serpent like creature continues to race just under the surface of the water. It twirls and spins in a direction towards shore, not seeming to pay attention to the dragons following it. Elysia, as you get closer to the creature you can hear a faint sound that is hard to make out, though the tone isn't scared or angry, but more...happy. Mus...hers....enty...ood. If they are words they are not clear and it's hard to tell where exactly they are coming from....either from the creature or some other place. The creature does a small jump above the waves, barely enough for L'van and Elysia to get more than a glimpse of silver and blue, before it begins to dive downwards deeper into the water.

Those investigating the dead creature:
  • 1. Two or three riders can continue to try and get the dead creature back to Atricis
    2. One or three riders can join L'van and Elysia with the fleeing shadow

Those following the serpent-creature:
  • 1. Attack the creature before it goes too deep
    2. Don't attack, but this is disobeying the Weyrleader's order.

Elysia ~ You have special options:
  • 1. Ignore the odd faint sounds and attack with L'van
    2. Inform the others what you heard and delay the attack
Kate
Posts: 1421
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:27 am

Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:35 am

The older blue rider continued to keep his eyes on Lorcan as the young man moved around the ship. K'uavaen honestly felt a bit better hearing Kitara tell the young man to be careful as well. Unfortunately, he knew it probably irritated Lor, at least just a little bit. K remembered when he was a young boy, he hated being told to be careful, like he couldn't watch out for himself. He decided to remain silent, and not do anything unless Lor asked for either of their assistance.

As the three of them continued to study the creature, K knew they were probably all thinking the same thing. They had never seen anything like this, and they didn't know if it was dangerous or anything like that. Granted it was dead, but the bluerider could not help but wonder if there were more around. Synsith rumbled in agreement both with the Zultanite dragon and his own rider. They had to find a way to bring it back. If they could study it, they could find out more about it.

A small smile played on his face as Lorcan started tying the beast up. It seemed as though he had found a bunch of rope down there as well. It didn't take him long to do it, and he was back up beside the two of them again, handing them each a piece of the rope. K'uavaen grabbed his, but then he heard L'van's bronze talking. Something about a trap?

With another look at the two other riders next to him, he thought a moment before handing his rope back. "I'm going to go help them, just incase it is a trap, you guys can handle this on your own, right?"

After getting the answers, he sped off after the others, chasing the shadow. He just wanted to make sure that if this thing was dangerous, he was there to provide some extra back up. More than anything, he wanted to make sure no one got hurt, and everyone made it back to New Atricis in one piece.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Fawkes
Junior Admin
Posts: 1144
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:03 am
Title: The Majestic Birb
Pronouns: She/Her, or Birb
Contact:

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:34 pm

Image
Tag L'van
Following the Serpent


Usually, Elysia tried very hard not to eaves drop on riders and their dragons' private conversations, yet right now part of her felt responsible to check in on everyone to make sure things were going smoothly and no trouble had arisen. It was a hum of voices in her mind, but she was able to pick out and concentrate on a few, like Susanoth and Hydranth speaking about the creature they found, which seems to be rather dead...and heavy as they try to bring it back to the Weyr. And though it was just one sided conversations she could Hear, she couldn't help but feel a bit of pride that Zenjarth agreed with her and Kelpieth, and likely L'van as well since the bronze didn't need to argue the point. However, she didn't like the sound of the Weyrleader and his bronze taking the fall for the rest of them, and silently she swore that if it came to that, she would do everything she could to make sure L'van made it home safe too.

The bluerider stayed focused on the mission as well though, her gaze rarely leaving that serpent who sped through the water just below them. She wondered if it had noticed them yet, or if it had if it even cared they were there. She watched it's movements a little while longer, though her mind could hear Zenjarth giving them the plan of action, and Elys noticed something peculiar about the way it moved. It didn't seem to be concerned with them at all, and instead it's antics in the water looked a lot like it was twirling, and dancing with the surface of the water. The bluerider was expecting a monster to be a little more...menacing, not frolicking through the waves.

Then there was something else, a whisper under all the voices she could Hear. It was faint, and she couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from, but it didn't sound like any of the dragons she knew were with them. Mus...hers....enty...ood. A dubious eye dropped to the creature beneath them and she couldn't help but wonder that maybe...could it have been? Whatever it was, the voice didn't sound very intimidating or threatening at all, in fact it sounded...happy. The creature below still seemed to be dancing around, and even gave a slight leap above the surface that gave the bluerider a good glimpse at the serpent before it was consumed by the ocean again. This time though, the creature didn't come right back to the surface and instead the shadow of it's self seemed to get darker, and smaller...It was diving.

She knew what L'van's orders were, if it began to dive, they were to rush the creature and take it down before it could get away, yet Elysia couldn't bring herself to spurn Kelpieth down for the attack. There was something about the voice the echoed in her mind, the wonder that came with it and the non-chalant attitude of the creature itself, it didn't feel at all like she thought it would. This was no the massive monster they were told stories about, the vicious creature that took down several ships and even a dragon. Elys didn't feel threatened by it's presence in any way, and in fact it felt more like it was trying to ... play with them.

But what proof did she have? She knew it could be treasonous not to follow the Weyrleaders' orders, but something didn't feel...right about just outright attacking it without any provocation. Maybe she was wrong, maybe this playful creature was still of the type responsible for the wreckage, for the dead creature the others had found, and the ships that had been taken down. Yet, what else were they out here for except to find out more about them? If they killed this one right now, that would be the end of the learning processs - though of course the beastcrafters would study the corpse - it would be the end of what they came out here to do.

While the bluerider hesitated, she caught sight of one of the other wingmembers beginning to take that dive, to charge the ocean and do as they were told to do and attack the beast. It seemed that was all she needed to spurn herself into action as well.

WAIT! She cried in unison with her blue dragon and together they dived to intercept the wing from attacking this creature. Kelpieth moved swiftly to cut them off and put himself between the Wing and the ocean where the creature was. Sir...I know this sounds crazy, but I think I HEARD it, just like the rest of the dragons. I Heard the creature...and it sounded Happy, and it hasn't threatened us once. I don't think it's as dangerous as we were told it could be. Maybe others of it's kind have attacked, but not this one, and if we kill it now, we'll never find out anything else, the trail will go cold with it's body. The bluerider spoke through her dragon, addressing L'van, but projecting the words to all around them. Elysia knew it was a long shot, she knew she was disobeying her Weyrleader and had every intention to face the punishment for her actions when they returned to the Weyr...but right now, she had to stand up for what she believed was right.
"You are only given one little spark of madness,
... you mustn't lose it"


ImageImageImage
The Lady . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Vixen . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Knight

ImageImageImage
The Matron . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Joker . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Princess

Image Image
The Mariner . ~ * ~ . The Spirit

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #B72334/#C3C3D0 | #181D68
~ Character Tracker ~ | * Marks Tracker *
Altreis
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:41 pm

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:58 pm

Image
I still don't know that this is a good idea, N'can said worriedly.

It's a little too late for second thoughts now, Violath replied, gentle love and amusement coloring his tone. Besides we're doing great. At this rate we'll have one of those mysterious creatures cornered in no time!

I don't know... N'can said hesitantly, looking at the shadow they were helping chase down. Didn't the reports say it was supposed to be...well...bigger?

Maybe it's a hatchling then, Violath countered, confident they were on the right track. It looks an awful lot like a serpent in the water to me.

N'can had to admit that the creature looked rather serpent-like in shape, the brief look he got when it leaped before diving. Oh sh- N'can started to silently curse, only for his stomach to drop along with his dragon. The Weyrleader had given explicit instructions: if the creature dived, they intercepted. Well it was diving and thus so were they. Please be careful! he begged Violath, not wanting his sweet blue to get hurt.

Don't worry, I-

Violath was forced to break off not only his sentence but his dive as well, as Kelpieth cut them off, insisting they wait. The blue was of course curious, silently looking to Zenjarth and L'van for new instructions. Were they to continue in their attempt to capture the creature? Kelpieth-or rather Elysia, speaking through him-seemed to have new information. They were wingmates, prone to pranks perhaps but not outright lying about such things. At that Elysia was a known HAD. Could it be that somehow that ability let her hear the sea serpent?

N'can was equally perplexed, watching the shadow and worrying that they were losing a vital chance. If it was so happy and friendly then why had others of its kind attacked the trading ships? It made no sense! Unless Violath was right? A hatchling would tend to be more playful, possibly. What to do, what to do...about all he could think of was wait and follow the leaders once they made their decision. The trick would be getting Violath to cooperate. Just because the leaders thought one way didn't necessarily mean the blue did, or that he would follow them. N'can could sense Violath's thoughts whirling, the blue thinking hard on the matter. Oh why did they have to come on this mission?!
Image Image Image Image Image
User avatar
Parker
Moderator
Posts: 3068
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:46 pm
Title: High Ebilness
Pronouns: He/Him
Age: 33

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:54 pm

1. Two or three riders can continue to try and get the dead creature back to Atricis

The dead creature was dragged through the water away from the wreckage and towards where Kitiara and K'uavaen were. Is it too heavy for you, Hydranth? Lorcan asked curiously as he could tell his blue was straining. I can drag it fine, but if we plan on bringing it back to the weyr then I will need help to lift it. Hydranth answered. The creature was literally dead weight and was the size of a large gold dragon. Tell Synsith and Susanoth that we'll need one of them to help us get this thing back to the weyr. While he wasn't meaning to, being a young pair and just a bluerider, Lorcan was easily taking charge of this thing. I don't think I can lift this myself. Can I get at least one of you to help me carry it back to Atricis?

In the midst of them messing with the dead, giant creature...there was more of a commotion going on where the rest of the group was. Hydranth relayed the information that he over heard from Kelpieth, Zenjarth, and Violath. They have a small one in their sights? Why aren't they attacking it? He asked curiously as he turned to watch what was happening. Elysia is asking them to wait...I'm not sure why. Lor's brows furrowed in confusion at that. These things killed people and dragons, they needed to be taken care of...baby or not. Ask the others if we should wait on the creature and go help them instead. Lorcan wants to know if you all think we should go help them with the creature.
ImageImageImageImage
Zaynallen | C'sian | Sid'nis | Locke
ImageImageImageImage
Najden | Kisle'vis | Corbin | Calivander |

.::..::..::..::..::..
User avatar
Fawkes
Junior Admin
Posts: 1144
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:03 am
Title: The Majestic Birb
Pronouns: She/Her, or Birb
Contact:

Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:09 am

Image
Tag K'uavaen & Lorcan
Taking the dead creature back to Atricis


The zultaniterider caught the rope as Lorcan tossed it over, gave it a few good tugs and watched the cord go taut against the poor creatures' body. The dragonrider wrapped the rope around the horn of her saddle so that it was Susanoth that would bear the brunt of the weight and not her slim arms. However, just as they were getting ready to heave, there was more commotion with the Weyrleader and Zenjarth gave out a call to arms, to which K'uavaen and Synsith answered, and Lorcan questioned whether to stay or not.

Kitiara gave another glance down at the creature, it was dead it wasn't going anywhere any time soon, and L'van has asked for help. However, she believed it would be safe to spare at the least the two of them, and then once they brought the creature back to Atricis, they could always return to the shoreline to lend their aid if it was needed still.

Just the two of us will take this back. We'll leave it with the beast crafters to figure out and come back for L'van and the rest. We wont be gone long. Susanoth spoke for the both them, giving a slight tug at their rope, eager to pull this beast up and be done with it. Dragons can carry what the believe they can carry, but even this hulk of dead weight was too much for one, but with a large zultanite and the blue combined, it seemed a much easier feat. Together they lifted with all their might, and slowly the bulk began to rise up from the wreckage. They had to wait until they were clear of all the debris, and the creature was secure down below before the pair of riders and their cache blinked away between
"You are only given one little spark of madness,
... you mustn't lose it"


ImageImageImage
The Lady . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Vixen . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Knight

ImageImageImage
The Matron . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Joker . . ~ ~ * ~ ~ . . The Princess

Image Image
The Mariner . ~ * ~ . The Spirit

#332500/#C1A00C | #8AA259 | #A8482A | #B69064 | #667A8C | #B72334/#C3C3D0 | #181D68
~ Character Tracker ~ | * Marks Tracker *
Post Reply
cron