This Way to Paradise ~ { Tag } Marve/Tovalia

All the rest of the Northern Continent that Atricis left behind. Atricis' old Holds can be found within, as well as all the other Holds and Weyrs and old lands left behind.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:07 am

His first time on a dragon. He knew he was ready, even if he was nervous about it. This was something all Hold children dream of in some way, at least in his mind they did. It was a fascinating thing, to prepare himself for the moment when he would climb onto Dracaenath's back, knowing that she would take him to the Weyr and the future he was certain he would eventually get to live in the South. He felt his heart begin to beat against his ribs and for a moment, had to pause, because he was so certain it was going to punch a hole straight through. A hand pressed against his chest did nothing to calm it, and in fact, seemed to encourage the blasted thing to pump faster.

He wasn't scared, just nervous. He'd never done this before, had never gone between before. There had only been stories told to the children of what that state was like, and some of them had been less than savory, spoken only to scare the little ones into behaving. Not all of them were to be believed, and he'd never been one of them to do so. "Yeah, I am... I'll be right there, just trying to figure out how to do this. Never have before, don't want to step on her the wrong way or something." What if he stepped on Dracaenath the wrong way? Would it hurt her? Did dragons feel pains differently compared to humans?

He looked at her and tilted his head, then finally found a way to mount up that seemed easy enough. It hadn't appeared to harm the dragon, and he patted her gently, amazed by how soft she felt beneath his fingers. Did all dragons feel like this, he wondered, or was it simply this one that was so beautifully gentle underneath his fingers? "I was Searched by your girl, I'll receive my first ride from her, my first trip between with her, and I'm learning dragons are smooth to the touch..." He shook his head and chuckled. "I'm going to have so much to thank the two of you for after I Impress. My mother may have given you that gift, but that was from her. I'll find some way to repay you."

Please visit the above link for a list of my current
characters, links to their profiles, to see what
they look like, and find other little facts about them!

[ Marks Tracker | Graphics Shop | NPC Archive ]

“You fail only if you stop writing.”
— Ray Bradbury —
Marvealle
Site Admin
Title: Foxy Prince
Pronouns: Any

Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:17 am

Tovalia wasn't really surprised by Varric's lack of confidence in climbing up on a dragon. It was pretty common among those that didn't grow up around dragons. Shards, Tovalia had her own anxieties about mounting anyone else's dragon, but that was for different reasons. Still, she could understand it, but she still chuckled a little when Varric admitted out loud that he wasn't sure how to climb up.

"Just grab the strap there, put your foot there, and hoist yourself up," she helped coach him up onto Dracaenath. She scooted a little bit forward on her neck to make room for Varric. Dracaenath was a small dragon, which was good in that she was easier to mount up onto, but the one downside was she had limited room for passengers. At least it was only Varric though, and it wasn't the first time she had a newbie on a dragon riding behind her. However, his amazement at this moment... well even Tovalia could appreciate it. For him, this was new and amazing. Clearly he thought of it as something to be cherished, and something to thank for as well. Here, Tovalia chuckled again, this time a little nervously, not quite sure how to handle his words.

"You don't need to, really. I'm just doing my job," she said, hoping to downplay it a little, and because she just wasn't entirely sure how she felt having someone feel like they owed her something simply for Searching them.

She pulled down her flight goggles and adjusted them. "Here we go, hang on tight, ok? An don't worry about holding onto me too hard, just make sure you hang on. The first time on a dragon is more jarring than you'd think."

When Tovalia felt like Varric was as ready as he could be, she signaled Dracaenath to take off. The silent exchange between the two set the green's muscles to bunch and release in preparation. A few moments later, they were in the air as she gave a powerful leap, her large hind legs sending her up with a great force, sending her higher than one might imagine a beast even of her size could manage. That powerful leap though enabled her to beat her wings, catching the air and sending her upward. To Tovalia, it was a smooth motion, but she remembered her early times on dragons, feeling like they were just going to crash back down during that brief moment between the leap and the wind catching the wings.

The ground left them quickly, until the trio were high up enough for between to be safe.

"We're going to go between in a second, so brace yourself," she called to Varric over the wind, giving him that warning before she visualized their destination and mentally fed that image to Dracaenath. Together, for a moment, they perfected the image they saw, seeing every part of the Weyr they were ready to return to. Once the image was perfect for betweening, everything around them seemed to disappear.

One... two... it was darkness, nothing, silence, cold. It was jarring, for everything to be there, and then for there to be nothing at all. Between could be maddening even, it felt so unnatural. Luckily, a jump between was only a few brief moments. One, two, three, and then, everything came back. A rush of light and color and warmth. The chill of the North was left behind, and stretching below them, was the Weyr.

"Welcome to New Atricis Weyr," Tovalia called to Varric as Dracaenath glided over the Weyr Yard, lazily making her way toward the ground gradually to make the descent easy on Varric.
Atricis: Next Generation
~..:: Character Tracker & Plotter | Marks Tracker ::..~
ImageImageImageImageImage Image Image ImageImageImage Image
ImageImage Image ImageImage Image

Note to Everyone: I'm often open to chat and plot with! You can find me on Discord under Marvealle#5611
Ember

Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:15 am

She had warned him, and yet nothing could have prepared him for the ascent. His stomach had rolled up into his throat, and when he closed his eyes, there was this rush through his entire body that he couldn't even describe. He wanted to ask her if the sensations were normal, only to remember that he was on the back of a dragon; in all likelihood, he pondered, this was a perfectly normal sensation given it was his first time riding on one. He finally gave in to opening his eyes and glanced over the side, and while it might have been a mistake in any other situation, he knew he was secure, and that he was safe where he was. There would be no fall from the green, and he wasn't someone that had fears of any kind for the most part. Besides, he wanted to know what it would look like, and maybe a part of him wanted to make sure he could handle the height difference before they made the trip between.

It was unlike anything he had ever seen before. So tiny, and yet so beautiful. There was green, there was wood, there was stone for miles around. It was like seeing Benden for the first time, and he knew it wouldn't be the last time he would be seeing it like this. He was stuck there for a moment, watching the view, never wanting it to disappear, but her words, and the reminder that came with them, told him that there was something else that needed to be done, and so he smiled and nodded, ready for this next leg of the journey that was to come. The trip that would bring him to the Weyr, and Faranth knew what else beyond the landing once they were on the ground.

He sucked in a breath as soon as the chilled darkness of between surrounded them, and told himself not to panic. He'd heard stories of it, had thought himself prepared for the journey, however brief the tales said the trip would be. However brief Tovalia told him it would last. Even so, when it first happened, he felt a little trickle of fear form in his chest, a grip that did not release until the warmth of the Southern airs embraced him in a welcome he would never forget.

Treated to the view of Atricis as they came in above the Weyr, he felt his breath taken from him yet again. There were dragons everywhere of all different shapes and colors, ones that he'd never seen before let alone heard of. One was red, a glimmering color that reminded him of the brightest Benden gems, others were nearly white with colors that gleamed under the sun, and yet more were of the brightest silver and white. His eyes were wide as he tried to take it all in, afraid that if he missed the smallest of details, he might not be able to capture it in the days to come, not knowing just how much he would enjoy as his days unfolded at the Weyr.

He gave Tovalia's sleeve a little tug as they came in for a landing and he smiled. "Is this place always as breathtaking as it is now?"

— Ray Bradbury —
Marvealle
Site Admin

Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:37 am

Tovalia could only imagine how amazing Varric saw when he saw the Weyr and the dragons everywhere. For her, she hadn't had that feeling, and being sent to Atricis had really felt more like a punishment than something amazing. In fact, she wasn't even really thinking of her first time coming to Atricis, or how he felt, at least, not until he pulled on her sleeve to get her attention. Her head turned quick to make sure nothing urgent was happening, like somehow he was slipping, but when his words caught on her ear, she smiled.

"Not when the rains come in the winter," she couldn't help but say with a playful grin. "But I think that's also a matter of opinion," she added, turning back forward to focus on their landing to make sure Dracaenath's blind spots were watched for any other dragons or obstacles.

*Land us near the Candidate Complex.* Tovalia reminded Dracaenath, sending her a mental image of the yard of the complex of barracks. Dracaenath gave a rumble and continued to glide along that way, beating her wings a couple of times to help propel them forward across the Yard before they got too close to the ground. Soon, Dracaenath's wings flared out, beating a few times to soften her landing as the ground came up beneath her claws. Some dirt was kicked up by her landing before she settled on the ground and folded up her wings.

"Here we are," Tova said, unclipping herself and Varric from the straps and sliding off Dracaenath was practiced ease. Once she was off, the green lowered down so Varric would have an easier time of it. While he worked on getting down, Tovalia began to unhook his stuff that had come with him.

"The barracks are right over this way," she explained, waving to the trio of buildings situated not far from the entrance to the hatching sands. "We'll take your stuff over and get you checked in with one of the Candidatemasters. Can't have Dracaenath carry it for us because dragons aren't so graceful on the ground," she chuckled, giving Dracaenath a loving pat. Dracaenath rumbled with approval at her rider's behavior though, glad to see Tovalia not being so shy with someone for once. Perhaps it was how appreciative Varric seemed or how amazed he was with everything so far, but it made Tovalia feel she didn't have to be quite so on guard with him. There might have also been the fact she didn't think she'd see much of him after he settled into candidacy, but Dracaenath would accept it.

Note to Everyone: I'm often open to chat and plot with! You can find me on Discord under Marvealle#5611
Ember

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:05 am

Vare didn't seem to mind. As a matter of fact, he would have carried them all the way from the North on his back if the green would have preferred it that way. He was just happy to be here, very happy. He wanted so much to go searching for his cousin straight away, before deciding it would be prudent to wait to find A'ric until he'd had the chance to settle in some. Then his cousin wouldn't have the chance to send him back; Vare would be so deeply enmeshed in things, there'd be no chance in getting him to leave the grounds, or the territory for that matter.

He made sure he took the heavier things, not because he didn't think she could do it - clearly she could, she was a rider for Faranth's sake, and they could do anything they wanted to! - but because his mother told him to specifically handle the heavier tings unless Tovia spoke otherwise. So far she wasn't saying anything though he knew full well that could change and if she did, he would do something very simple - set things down, let her take what she wanted, then they would move on.

He found it was going to be bitter sweet when he left their company, and he glanced in their direction as they made their way to the barracks. He wasn't sure if he should make his offer, or if it'd even be appreciated, but why not make it? The worst thing she could do is say no. The best thing she could do is say yes. The okay thing is maybe. He wore a smile and tipped his head in her direction, and hopefully it would be enough to catch the woman's expression. "I was wondering... would it be okay if I stopped and said hi, should I ever see you around this place?" He knew a Weyr was large, and the chances of him ever seen her and her green again were spotty at best. But it wouldn't hurt to ask to reach out to the pair that had brought him to his future...

— Ray Bradbury —
Marvealle
Site Admin

Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:15 am

Tovalia didn't make a fuss about who grabbed what, especially since he seemed a capable young man. As long as he didn't struggle under the heavier stuff just in an effort to look macho, she'd let him take whatever of his things he wanted. So she took the rest of it and helped him along across the candidate yard, aiming them toward the building at the center with the bronze dragon emblazoned upon the main door. She expected to make the relatively short trip either in relative silence, or him going on about how amazing the Weyr was. So when his question came, she was a bit taken aback by it, looking over at him, the surprise shown on her face for a moment before she looked forward again... Candidates rarely asked such things, if anything they usually just were dropped off in the barracks and that was that, with just a few nervously asking if the rider that brought them could show them around or something. In those situations, Tovalia usually assured they were in the best hands with the Candidatemaster and the Assistants, usually making sure one of them was present to try and make the transition easier. She couldn't remember when or if she'd been asked before by a candidate if they could simply say hi.

*There's certainly no harm.* Dracaenath was quick to say to her rider before Tovalia had a chance to overthink it and brush the new candidate off. She could feel the green giving her a mental push, trying to feed her confident feelings, or perhaps soothing ones.

"Sure," Tovalia found herself saying before she totally realized it, and now she wouldn't imagine taking it back, for fear of seeming rude or offending Varric. "That sounds ok to me. We might not run into each other often, what with different schedules once you get settled in." Tovalia gave a shrug despite the stuff she was carrying up to the door of the barracks. "We'll probably bump into each other every so often though during your candidacy, depending on how long you stand."

Tovalia brought Varric's things up near the Dragon Barracks door, stopping a little away from it so they didn't accidentally barricade the door. She then approached and opened the door and gestured Varric in. "There's usually at least an Assistant Candidatemaster in the office. It makes bringing in new candidates easier. We'll bring your things inside and talk to the Candidatemaster on duty. Then they'll take care of getting you settled and familiar with the Weyr and your candidacy status."

Ember

Fri May 04, 2018 1:58 am

Varric nodded, finding he was curious to meet one of the Candidatemasters - there was more than one? of course there would be, though how many did a Weyr have? - he refrained from asking too many questions, knowing that many of them would be answered within a few moments after they were met up by whoever was inside, and even after they were finished if any of them coudn't be responded to by the person on duty. He held onto his tongue, and once they were on their way, he did find reason to speak, not wishing to be rude. "Thank you, by the way, ma'am, for giving me permission to say hello to you if I see you again. My mother would find it incredibly rude of me if I didn't give you greetings in a proper setting if we were to run into one another in the future."

When they arrived, he looked around, and his eyes landed on a man bent over a desk, but soon enough he looked up and smiled when he spotted the two of them. "Ah, Tovalia, looks like you've brought us another one." He looked back down at his papers and finished whatever thought he'd been in the middle of before scooting back and standing. "I'm pleased by this. Iktomith maybe not so much, since we'll be taken from the Wings more often than not with more candidates in tow, but I like the fact that there'll be more of them to tend to." He offered the greenrider his hand, in courtesy, and while wasn't trying to ignore Vare, he at least acknowledged him a moment with a head nod. "I can take things from here unless there was more you wanted tend to with your candidate before things were done on your end?"

— Ray Bradbury —
Marvealle
Site Admin

Wed May 16, 2018 7:31 pm

He really was quite polite, but perhaps that wasn't too surprising from holdfolk. She did chuckle a bit when he admitted that his mother would find it rude if he didn't greet her if they ran into each other again. "Well we wouldn't want your mother to think you're rude if she found out," Tova couldn't help but tease slightly.

Soon, she brought the fresh new candidate to the office, and sure enough one of the assistant masters was there, K'rios. She chuckled again at the man's greeting and mention of Iktomith's possible displeasure at having more candidates to watch over. "That's why there are multiple of you guys, to keep up with all the candidates us Searchriders bring in for you." She shook his hand when it was offered, before shaking her head at his question.

"I think you are best suited to take it from here. This is Assistant Candidatemaster K'rios, he'll get you settled in and tell you what you need to know to get started here. Good luck."

Tovalia left the new candidate with the Candidatemaster, slipping out of the office and out of the Dragon Candidate Barracks. She returned to Dracaenath who was waiting outside, mounting up on the green so Tova could go and work on her report for today's activities.

*I'd say you made a potential friend there.* Dracaenath bespoke to Tova, her mental voice having a singsong quality to it. Tova smacked Dracaenath's hide playfully.

*Oh hush. He's a fresh new candidate. Even if we are around the same age we probably won't catch each other much. He'll forget about me in due time. Though I think he'll remember you forever.* She answered with amusement in her mind, earning a rumble from Dracaenath.

*I definitely wouldn't mind being remembered forever.*

{fin}