A Joyful Reunion - Kate | Gavael

All the rest of the Northern Continent that Atricis left behind. Atricis' old Holds can be found within, as well as all the other Holds and Weyrs and old lands left behind.
Shaihulud
Pronouns: She/Her They/Them

Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:54 pm

Season - N. Summer 2049 (two days after Emalia's Arrival)
Time - Evening, Dinnertime
Location - Fort Hold Harper Hall/Healer Hall, Dining Hall

@Kate | Gavael
For two days, Emalia settled into her new home. Her belongs unpacked and her room make homely, she dressed and set off to meet her new masters. To the Master Harper of the North, Emalia saw first and foremost. As she stood before him with Ciri at her shoulder, he congratulated her on her transfer. He had high expectations for her, to which Emalia was eager to meet. In the days to follow, she established a schedule with those she would learn under in the turns to follow.

For her music instruction, her harp was inspected, as was her skill with it.

"Do you know any other instruments?" the craftmaster asked of her after nodding in approval with the songs she played.

"Yes, lute, guitar, and violin," she replied confidently.

"Show me."

Emalia did so, showing the craftmaster what she knew and how well she knew it. Regretfully, her violin skills were barely passable, but she managed through several songs, just enough for the craftmaster to scowl at her skill. "You can play it... but not nearly well enough. We will have to work on that." As for her lute and guitar skills, the craftmaster provided only a neutral countenance for her to read him by. "You will need to practice more."

Did that mean her skill was passable? Emalia did not dare actually voice the question.

Theory followed her instrumental instructions. After Theory, she faced dreaded Composition where she was required to produce what little music she had written over the turns. It was her weakest subject matter, but she managed to survive the intense scrutiny of her work, albeit with severe criticism. It was enough to leave her frustrated by the end of the day when she returned to her room, but her room mates proved kind, and helped her feel more welcome than the craftmasters she faced.

The second day, Emalia met the Master Dancer and Master Archivist. When the Master Dancer asked her what sort of dancing she could manage, Emalia provided a list from ballet to flamenco. With a curious smirk, her instructor demanded she show the diversity of her skill. From one dance to another, Emalia revealed her skill, proving her strength for the first time since her arrival to the Harper Hall. It filled her with confidence, even when she was asked to repeat certain steps for the master to better measure her skill. There was always room for improvement, but the master understood why the Master Harper had requested her transfer.

"We will make good use of you, Emalia," the Master Dancer noted as several notes were scrawled in the ledger.

Shortly after the hours of dance, Emalia's feet were measured for several new sets of dancing shoes. Shoes for ballet, shoes for jig, shoes for flamenco, and shoes for folk were to be added to her wardrobe within the next few sevendays.

Next was archiving, which was to take up the second half of her day. The Master Archivist marvelled at her penmanship and her accuracy, but pressed that he wanted her to reach her full potential and master a variety of fonts commonly used, rather than just the black letter front and calligraphy she was so accustomed to.

"There is a purpose for each font, and you will learn each and every one," he pressed upon her as they wandered the shelves of the archives. For the rest of the day, she was to transcribe several worn scrolls and return them to him for inspection. She managed to complete the task with some extra time added to her time in the archives. Late to finish, Emalia could at least say she had turned in the task. Only then was she excused.

She nearly collapsed by the end of the day, especially when she realised she still had one more day of instruction to go: Voice Lessons, Poetry, and Instrument Construction. This craft was going to be the death of her, but Ciri's croons of encouragement were enough to assure her that she had made the right choice. Over the turns, she was certain she will master the skills she needed to walk the tables. It would require diligence and determination, but Emalia was confident she would succeed in her education and with little to no delay.

"Emalia?" one of her floor mates called to her as they passed by her doorway. "You coming with us to dinner?"

While her stomach grumbled at the reminder, Ciri chattered out in excitement. "Yes, please," Emalia smiled back. Even if she felt the pull of exhaustion, she could not say "no" to a fulfilling meal after such a demanding day. With her newly made friends, Emalia wandered down to the Dining Hall, and found a spot on the long bench with the others. They enjoyed their meal while music hummed pleasantly in the background over the jovial voices. Emalia found the strength to laugh with the others, though she did mostly focus on her meal in order to fill the hollow pit in her stomach. Once she satiated though irritable pains of severe hunger, Emalia managed to spare a look about the Dining Hall for the first time, and truly take in her surroundings.

It was then that she spotted him. There, across the Dining Hall with that familiar head of golden curls, was Gavael. She could not help but smirk at the very sight of him. "Will you excuse me for a moment?" she asked of her company just before she dismissed herself. She crossed the Dining Hall, passing row after row of merry dinners, though she did so as inconspicuously as possible. Once she found a spot behind Gavael, she approached him with impressive stealth and finesse, and slipped her hands over his eyes. "Guess who," she whispered playfully into his ear.
Kate

Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:14 pm

Things had been going alright for Gavael since he had returned to Fort from visiting his friends and family. It had been really good for him to go back home for the Festival. He’d been able to see his mother, and Aniday, and all of his friends. They had all had so much fun together, and it had been like he had never left. When he had to leave to go back to Fort though, that was when he realized just how much he missed everyone there. Of course, if you asked him to his face, he would probably never admit it. He always said he needed to get out, but once he was out, he missed everyone (with the exception of one or two people). Part of him was now wondering if he had made a mistake by leaving. Should he have just stayed there and dealt with everything as it came? The other part of him was a bit to proud to admit to himself or anyone that he had made a mistake. It was always that part that seemed to win out.

His crafter lessons had kept him busy, and for that, he was extremely grateful. Sometimes though, he still found his mind wandering back, thinking about Ema, and Angie and Aniday, and Of course, his mother. Admitting he had not exactly been the best son ever, he’d been trying. His mother still loved him, but deep down he felt as though he had disappointed her when he had left because of her choice as a Weyrmate. That guilt are at him sometimes, although more often than not he was able to try and push those thoughts aside.

Thoughts of Ema had become a bit more common now. He tended to think more about her than anyone else back home. It had honestly almost started affecting now he was doing in his classes, but luckily he was able to push those thoughts away for the most part.

Unfortunately, today had been especially difficult. It seemed as though he hadn’t been able to focus on anything that he was supposed to. The young man managed to keep it together though and make it through the day without making any major mistakes, and finally it was dinner time.

Making his way to the Dining Hall, he quickly got in line and waited as patiently as he could got his food. His stomach rumbling did not really help matters, but soon enough he had his food, and quickly found a seat with a few of his friends he had met here.

They had just started eating when someone came up behind him, their hands covering his eyes. His first instinct was to fight, his heart pounding in his chest. That only lasted until he heard the person speak. For a moment, he didn’t trust his ears. The voice sounded familiar, but there was no way the person he thought it belonged to was here. He wanted to believe it, but he just couldn’t.

Finally he said, ”Well, I know who it sounds like, but that person isn’t here, so I would have to admit that I don’t really know who it is.”
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Shaihulud

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:38 pm

The way Gavael's lashes fluttered against her palms in deliberation nearly caused her to burst with laughter, if only for the fact it tickled so much. Yet fingers remained in place, her hands cupped against his face, refusing to give up the game just yet. If she could have it her way, she would have turned him red with exacerbation before she finally relinquished him. Honestly, Gavael made it too easy.

”Well, I know who it sounds like, but that person isn’t here, so I would have to admit that I don’t really know who it is.”

Her own lips murmured sweet words back into the delicate cove of his ear. "And... who do I sound like?" Those full lips remained near his ear, close enough for her to feel the heat rise from his neck as his wild golden curls glanced along her cheek. Did she dare release him? No, not yet, though if he pulled away from her and lowered her hands, Emalia would not resist. Instead, she would smile smugly at her friend, pleased by the surprise she had delivered this night.

Honestly, did he really believe she would have remained south?
Kate

Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:55 am

Gavael did have to admit that it was a bit frustrating, mostly because he had never been one to like this game. Even when he had been younger, this had never really been one of his favorite things to do. Honestly, it was probably because he had never really been all that good at it. Even though he was older now, he found that he still wasn’t the greatest at it. Part of him wanted to break away from the hands that were held over his face, but the other part of him didn’t want to give up that easily. Even if he wasn’t a fan of doing this, he wasn’t just going to give up.

As she spoke in his ear once more, he could feel himself shiver. What the hell was wrong with him? Why was he shivering? That voice though, there was something absolutely familiar about it. He knew exactly who it sounded like, but the rational part of him told himself that there was no way that she was actually here. The irrational part of him though said that there was always the chance that she had decided to come North.

Finally he spoke, Well, you sound like my friend Ema, but last I knew, she was still in Evanoria. But I just can’t believe she would be here either. So I feel like my mind is playing tricks on me.”
Shaihulud

Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:22 pm

The shivers, the flutter, and all the little tells that ran through her friend... went completely missed by Emalia. Instead, all she felt was the flurry of excitement and anticipation course through her as she pressed her friend to guess. Just how well did Gavael know her? Did he trust himself to say her name outloud when every logical fibre in his being warned him such a thing could not possibly be true?

And yet it was very possible. That night at the Gather, Emalia's prowess on the dance floor had caught the attention of the Master Harper of the Fort Hold Harper Craft Hall. All her months of pain staking practice had earned her a place just behind Gavael with hands clasped playfully over his eyes.

So close to her friend, she felt his warmth, that rising heat of frustration. Was he blushing, or did he always feel this warm?

"Well, you sound like my friend Ema, but last I knew, she was still in Evanoria. But I just can’t believe she would be here either. So I feel like my mind is playing tricks on me.”

"Perhaps," she chuckled back. "Maybe I am just an apparition-" fingers dropped from his eyes as she slipped to the spot at his side. "-Though... I still remember the sea when I sailed north across it, and the weather is a bit warmer than I remembered it being back in Evanoria. So...-" she reached up to pluck a dust ball from one of his golden curls "-Maybe I am really here."
Kate

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:44 am

The red tinge still covered his face as he sat there. While he wanted to say the name that was on his mind, he refrained. What if he was wrong? Sure, it wouldn’t be that big of a deal to anyone, except for some reason, it was to him, and he couldn’t really figure out why. Was it because there were people around to see if he was wrong? While he knew he would be embarrassed even more if he was wrong in front of a bunch of people, there was still something else stopping him. Was it the thought that he wanted it to be Ema, and just didn’t want to get his hopes up and have them get dashed again? Yes, he reasoned, that was probably the most logical reason.

Frowning, he could feel the hands slowly move away from his eyes, but he didn’t open them quiet yet, focusing on what the voice said. Coming from Evanoria? There weren’t many people around here that actually knew where he was from, or where Ema would have come from. At that moment, he could feel his heart racing a bit in anticipation. Was this for real?

Finally he opened his eyes as he felt hand picking something out of his hair. For a moment, the young man almost didn’t believe his eyes, but that only lasted for a moment before he threw his arms around her and hugged her tight. ”I can’t believe you are actually here!”

Eventually he let her go and just stared for a moment before saying , ”How is everything back home? When did you get here?”
Shaihulud

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:41 pm

Gavael tackled her in a hug, squeezing her with enough excitement as to make Emalia laugh with joy. Yes. She was here, her arms assured him as they hugged her friend back in turn.

”I can’t believe you are actually here!”

Emalia gave him one last squeeze before he released her, though she did not entirely want to let him go. It felt as though ages had gone by since that Gather at Evanoria.

”How is everything back home? When did you get here?”

Emalia opened her mouth to answer, ready to fill his hears with all the joys and excitement of her journey, but before she could, a little bit of silver streaked out of the corner of her eye.

Ciri had joined them, landing onto the table with enough of the thud that surprised the other patrons who sat around them. With a curled lip, little Ciri began to growl as he slapped his tail against the table. How dare they do such a thing as hug! Did they not understand only he, Ciri, deserved such affections. Bad enough Emalia gave this man such attention at all. Even worse, however, was the fact this boy took her away from the fancy flit so quickly. So that Gavael knew his place in her life, the fancy flit was quick to slip to her shoulder and wrap his dual tails firmly about her neck.

Emalia gagged. "Ciri, stop it," she grumbled to the beast as her fingers slipped between tail and throat to give herself some room to breathe. Yet try as she might to loosen one tail, the other always tightened around her. She had half a mind to rip the fancy flit off and toss him across the room for his strangulating grip, but Emalia loved the beast too much. Instead, she slipped two fingers the two silver tails and her neck, just to keep him from suffocating her.

To Gavael, she offered a look of apology. "Sorry, he gets like this sometimes, but he'll let up after a little bit. he always does."
Kate

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:00 pm

Hearing Ema laugh seemed to make this even more real for Gavael. Sure, by now it was quiet obvious that she was really here, but somehow his mind was just not quiet believing it. While his head still wrapped itself around it, his heart was as full as it could be with happiness. In his heart, there had never really been a doubt. Pushing those thoughts away, it didn’t take him long to figure out that he might have been squeezing her just a bit to hard. She didn’t seem to mind at all, but even so, he loosened his grip, even if it was only slightly.

Before the two of them even had a chance to really begin talking, Gavael could not stop himself from jumping a little as the small creature landed on the table. Honestly, the grey eyes young man was a bit embarrassed that such a little thing had made him jump. When it started growling though, he wondered what in the world had upset it.

Grey eyes followed the tiny beast as it made its way up onto his friend’s shoulder, and then he took his focus off it it so that he could try and enjoy the conversation with her. As he opened his mouth once again, he heard Ema gag, and his grey eyes immediately scanned her, looking at everything.

Quickly he noticed that the flit had both of its tailed wrapped around the young woman’s throat, and it seemed as though it was unintentional choking her. What should he do? It was her foot, he didn’t really want to hurt it or anything, and quiet honestly he figured she would be able to take care of it on her own. Grey eyes watched her every move as she tried to get her pet to stop.

Finally she managed to at least get her fingers in between the tails and her throat, which did make him feel a little bit better. Smiling softly he said, ”Well, I guess I can’t really say anything as long as you have it all under control. But I do have to admit, I was a little nervous there for a moment.”

Calming himself for a moment, he took a deep breath and then said, ”So, you were about to tell me how things were going?”
Shaihulud

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:14 pm

Inch by inch, Ciri's tails released their hold, though the little silver continued to narrow bright burning eyes upon the boy who dared to converse with Emalia. On her shoulder, he remained, assuring himself that the boy did not dare repeat his previous offending embrace.

The envy steamed off of the little silver, making Emalia distinctly aware of the reason why her fancy flit was being so disagreeable. You silly creature. No matter what happened, she would always belong to Ciri, but that did not mean she did not appreciate the rest of the world and those who wandered it. That included people like Gavael. And no, she did not mind that startling and exuberant hug. If anything, she quietly enjoyed them.

”Well, I guess I can’t really say anything as long as you have it all under control. But I do have to admit, I was a little nervous there for a moment.”

"He get's jealous," Emalia chuckled back in turn. "What can I say, I might enjoy the company too much," she continued deviously. Honestly, the young harper always did enjoy a good tease, and she suspected Gavael would make it all to easy.

With some time and deliberation since the gather, Emalia began to harbour several suspicions about Gavael. That look in his eyes, his eagerness to dance, the enthusiasm he revealed to her now... Emalia was not naive or prudish, and had enjoyed her own share of sweet kisses during her time in Evanoria and Atricis. At the time of the gather, she was not entirely certain, but now she knew. Gavael liked her. The question, however, was what she was going to do about it... especially when Gavael was merely a friend.

"So... I came by ship," she finally explained, answering his previous question. "It was longer than flying, but it was fun. Sailing on the open sea is incredible, Gav."
Kate

Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:06 am

Gavael had to admit that he was relieved to see the flit loosen its tail, but that didn’t stop him from still being a bit nervous. The sensible part of him knew that Ema could handle it. It was her pet after all, and he wasn’t going to contradict her. The other part of him couldn’t help but still be on edge. Quiet honestly he felt as though he was over thinking everything, and he did not really understand why. In an instant, his mind flashed back to the last time he had been home, and how great everything had seemed. They had danced, and danced, and just had a great time. The part that still stood out the most in his mind though, was how he had held onto her after the last song they had danced to ended. Would something have happened between the two of them that night?

Well, he guessed now he knew why he was being over protective and over thinking things. As much as he wanted to tell himself that there were no feelings, or anything, he couldn’t lie. While he wouldn’t tell her, or act on them unless she did, he had to at least admit it to himself. Quickly he pulled his mind back to the present, trying not to think about anything else for the moment.

As he heard her, he playfully rolled his eyes, but there was also the beginning of a red tinge appearing on his cheeks. ”Well, of course you would enjoy the company, it is me after all.” Of course, he said that with a teasing tone as well, hoping to maybe NOT make a fool out of himself in front of her this time.

Grey eyes looked at her, grinning as he listened to her. Chuckling he said, ”Ive heard it is. When I came here, I had someone fly me. Sometimes I wish I would have been able to go by sea. I think it would have been amazing.”

After a minute he frowned just a little and said, ”How did Angie take it?? And your parents”