Old Man in Need [Open]

Very similar to the old lower caverns, these ones are a little less than before as well. These Lower Caverns almost exclusively hold storage rooms and living spaces for all the Weyrfolk.
Berry
Pronouns: She/Her
Tag Status:

Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:19 pm

Tag: Open
Theran cast a glance at the sacs laying on the floor. The delivery had made it and the merchant had made sure it was at least inside but somehow, the sacs hadn't been put the store room. It was only another ten feet or so, what was so difficult about finishing the job? It wasn't like they were particularly heavy, though those with a more slender frame might struggle with the bulky, shifting meal.

Sure he had better chores that actually needed his attention, but what was two candlemarks worth of wasted time? Theran un-clenched his jaw from where he'd been gritting his teeth in irritation. He had little patience for what he saw as just laziness or a need to rush for the sake of money. "Guess I'll finish the job." He didn't even have any of his companions for company as all were napping in the warmth of the afternoon. It was just him and his thoughts, and his thoughts weren't anything special. Perhaps a candidate with lower caverns duty would come along and save him from his boredom.

Theran stooped down to stack two sacs and heave them up and over his shoulder. By using his legs and not his back of course. Plenty of other weyrfolk had gotten onto him about it after he'd come to the weyr. "Ah, there we go." With the bags settled well onto his shoulder, Theran carried them into the store room. In preperation for the delivery he'd moved what supply was left from the previous shipment. While a dry ingredient, it still needed to be rotated and used in a timely manner.

As he got the first two sacs settled, Theran though he heard footsteps coming down the hall. [b"Hello?"[/b] He poked his head outside looking around to see if he was just hearing things. "Come to help out have you?"
Dreamer216
Tag Status:

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:10 pm

El was only just passing by on her way through the caverns to run an errand for someone from the kitchens when she heard the greeting. She debated showing herself, after all she was already on an errand for someone else, but she saw the pile of sacks, provisions which somehow had been misplaced in the middle of a hallway. What idiot had left those there. With a sigh, she turned down towards the voice.

"Sure, why not." She was expecting a candidate or two, but instead she found a single man in the room with only a few bags. What an odd situation. "Did they just abandon you here to finish the job?" She huffed with righteous indignation. These were enough bags for several people to carry, not a single person's job. Her little green flit Beatrix, who had been wrapped around her neck, woke with a start at her person's angry tones. She looked around groggily, and then stretched. El realized her annoyance had woken the green, so she calmed herself.

"Id be glad to help. Are these from today's shipment? Where are the people who normally deliver them? Seems like they didnt finish everything." She didnt really know who the man was, and it didnt occurr to her that maybe she was speaking abruptly to whoever had been doing the job in the first place. But that didnt matter, because now she was on the job.

El grabbed a scrap of paper from her pocket and wrote a quick note on the back to the person she had been running and errand for and handed it to her firelizard. "Take this to the kitchen Beatrix." She pressed the image of a woman into the little green's mind, hopefully to help her find the right person. "I'll be there as soon as I can, go see if you can find a friend to play with." With a little chirp the green complied disappearing between. El rolled her sleeves up and crouched by the bags. "So where do you want them?" Straight down to business.
Berry
Tag Status:

Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:24 pm

"Sure, why not."

Ah, someone had answered the call. To be honest Theran hadn't been entirely sure if someone had even been around to hear him. Her next words flared his irritation back to life. "I have indeed been abandoned." He sighed, cursing himself for running with the assumption that he would have had help.

"I told the merchants I had someone coming to help so they left., but no one came." Someone may have had an emergency or chores got switched last minute? I wasn't paying attention to who it was supposed to be so I can't try to hunt them down. Theran shrugged, reaching for another bag. He settled it on his shoulder, taking a moment to make sure it was balanced.

"Ah, they go in the room over here. I've already moved the older sacks to the front so they're rotated. Just stack them on the back of the palette there." Theran began walking into the storeroom, showing by example. "I really appreciate the help though. Next time I might make sure I have a helper to start with, pride be damned."

He eyed the young woman's green as she was able to just send it off without any trouble. Pragma was fairly well trained but she tended to immediately come back without waiting for a reply or finding friends to keep her occupied. "So how long did it take you to train your green to behave? I've got a Flitt myself and she still has her stubborn days, even turns later." It probably just came down to personality type but Theran was more than happy to learn any new tips and squirrel them away for future reference.

Dreamer216
Tag Status:

Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:06 pm

El paused in her crouch as she listened to his somewhat bitter words. She frowned, sounded like someone was shirking their duties. "That doesn't sound right at all. We, uh, you might want to mention it to the headwoman?" El didnt quite know who the man was, probably some Weyrfolk or other, but he likely had at least some more seniority than she did, even from just having been there longer, at least she assumed. In any case it wasnt really her business.

She hefted a bag and followed him as he showed her what he had already done and where he wanted her to put things. "Sounds good to me, looks like you have it all sorted." She said appreciatively, setting the bag down right where he had asked. "Of course, you are welcome! I would hope someone wouldnt leave me alone to struggle either." She said, making a sour face at the thought, but she smiled again, and turned towards the hallway.

His question though gave her pause, and she thought about it. "Well I wouldnt say she is very well behaved, but she usually manages to avoid too much mischief. But... she's a very proper and prim little thing. She goes crazy around canines, particularly my roomate's one, so that tends to tire her out enough that she is calmer with me." She smiled fondly. "That said, just cause she took my message doesnt mean she wont get distracted while she's in the kitchens. Hopefully she'll be back sooner than later though." At the moment she wasnt too worried, Beatrix would have gotten in her way while she was lifting, so she wasnt urgent in calling her back. She smirked a little though. "So then is your flitt causing mischief right now?"

Berry
Tag Status:

Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:28 pm

Theran mulled over the thought of tattling to the headwoman. It felt kind of childish but really around the weyr people had to be kept accountable. If one shirked duties now who knows what they might do one day if they managed to become something like a rider? Lives would depend on them and Theran knew he wouldn't trust them with his. So yeah, the headwoman or at least the vitner he was practicing under would be notified. "That sounds like an excellent idea. I was considering just letting one of the staff know but the headwoman or one of her assistants should likely know as well."

"I for one would never leave anyone on their own either and you can always count on me for back up, but it would seem not everyone shares that thought." Theran sighed and shook his head, enough dwelling on that though. Griping wouldn't get the job done. He could regal his fur flitts with the tales of the day later and they would dutifully listen and then curl up next to him to sleep.

Ahh yes, personality would come into play for 'lizard like pets. Theran thought on Pragma for a long moment as El spoke. Well, she was a headstrong thing, though she didn't really disobey him too often. Fancy flitts tended to listen better than firelizards, but even then she wouldn't give him a trinket she'd snatched or flew around his room and late hours when he'd asked her to sleep or at least land. Theran probed their connection, trying to tell what she was doing. Pragma felt happy and willingly supplied him with a mental image when asked. "She's not exactlly making trouble, but that's because she's in my room and no one else can see her right now. She's wrestling with my two fur flitts. It'll burn some energy but I'm afraid they'll knock something off my dresser." He sent a warning to not get to close but they were all having fun so he wasn't sure if he would be heeded. "I suppose flitts aren't quite as focused as we humans are. Even dragons seem to be a bit forgetful, I wonder if they all developed that way naturally."

Dreamer216
Tag Status:

Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:06 pm

El listened as he spoke, actually enjoying the small talk as they worked for once. Plus shared annoyance always helped comraderie, and in this case she felt some righteous anger for the both of them as they worked alone to move the shipment. Not that she minded hard work, but when it wasnt supposed to be hers originally that bothered her. He seemed to agree about reporting it to someone. "Yeah it's probably a good idea, even if just to justify why I disappeared from the job I was supposed to do." She said with a wry smile. "Not that I mind helping, but other people having to pick up the slack is messy business."

She frowned as he mentioned that not everyone would help someone. It was disgraceful, but he was right, some people just were lazy. "That's good to know, and you know I would do the same, as is pretty clear." El gestured with her chin, as her arms were full with the next sack she had picked up.

El chuckled as his explanation of his pet's antics. "Well at least they arent under foot. My Beatrix is just obsessed with my roomates canine, well any canine to be honest. So she does have a play partner, but if I dont pay attention she'll start pestering my roomate, or bothering the beastcrafters. She was obedient that time, but at any moment who knows what she could be up to." She said rolling her eyes. "But yeah, I have noticed flitts have a much shorter attention span. I heard dragons are better, but their memory isnt too great. It will be interesting to see how true that is." If I ever impress, she thought to herself bitterly. But hey she still had plenty of turns before her candidacy ended. She just hated the waiting.
Berry
Tag Status:

Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:45 am

"That's quite true, people don't pick up the slack exactly, more pass it along to the next." Theran grimaced. A well functioning weyr needed all it's occupants doing their jobs in a fairly timely manner. A kink one place meant there was a snarl someplace else. "Yeah I'll make sure I mention it. You shouldn't get a talking to just because you stopped to help me finish something that needs to be done." Ah well, hopefully their good job would earn them some praise and leniency on future jobs or chores. Likely wishful thinking but perhaps his irritation was making Theran think just a bit negatively.

"We're few diamonds in the rough." He couldn't resist joking, even if it wasn't the best joke out there. "No, I'd like to think most people in the weyr are the good apples like us. We just get to grumble about the few bad ones. And work off any irritation by heaving these heavy sacks around."

Theran chuckled at El's words, nodding along to what she mentioned. While Pragma was his pet and she preferred him above all others, she did seem to pick out the same "pet sitter" whenever he sent her off to do her own thing or when he went into the dining cavern to eat. "Hmmm I've never really bespoke a dragon but I've heard much of the same. I suppose a short memory would be just as bad as a short attention span with certain things. Are you hope to impress at one of the upcoming hatchings? Or well, stupid question, any candidate would be wanting to bond. I'm quite curious how a dragon or even a wher just knows who it's bonded is supposed to be."