Old Ghosts At The Door ~ { tag } LdyPayne / Shyran

While a similar idea to the dragonrider apartments, the Dayhandler cabins are individual homes that are overall smaller than the apartment buildings, with size assigned by rank and needs, woth all cabins allowing Daywhers to come inside. Day wherlings move into these cabins after bonding.
Ember
Title: Plot Enabler
Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them
Tag Status: Open but Permission Needed for certain situations.

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:51 pm

[ note: takes place a little after the Igen refugees arrived ]

This was going to be difficult, perhaps even out of the blue, but it was something that Shiravani wanted to do. She'd only been back at Atricis for a very short while, and during that time she'd found out about her mother from her father, the loss of family at Igen, and now it was time to tell her old friend Shyran that she was back.

She closed her eyes as she made her way through to the dayhandler cabins, old memories trying to push through and make themselves more well known and fresh. She hadn't thought about those things in a while, having been busy with her work and now being a mother. It wasn't that she didn't want to think about him, her Roavani, he would always be in her heart, but she had become stronger...

She felt so weak after thinking about him, that she was almost afraid to at times.

She bit down on her lip before stopping at Shyran's door and pausing. It would be so easy to turn away and not bother, but she knew she couldn't do that. She wouldn't do that either. She'd come this far and to let her old friend find out about her presence second hand or by accident was not only wrong but unfair. So she hesitated just a moment longer before lifting her hand.

In her mind, somewhere in the distance, she felt approval come from a far off source, and knew that she'd met some quiet approval. Wherever her old white was, in his peace, she knew he was thinking she'd done the right thing. He winced and hugged herself as she waited. His spirit, if such things even existed for dragonkin, was around her today. How else would she be hearing him so clearly?
Dragonfolk
Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Wherfolk, Dayfolk, & Pearlfolk
Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Crafters, Weyrfolk, & Others
Image Image Image Image
I can be found on Discord @ Ember#8349 ~ feel free to drop be a message even if I'm on DND.
LdyPayne
Tag Status:

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:39 pm

After learning what happened to Igen Weyr and how its leaders ignored the needs of their people Shyran was horrified. Mother may have her faults but Shyran had never heard of Walled Hold's leader turn her back on the needs of Walled Hold as a whole. What the Igen leadership did was like nothing she had ever expected from those who were likely descendant from the Ancient Ones.

It was heartwarming how many other Weyrs both North and South, including New Atricis were eager to help, taking in Weyrfolk and Dragonriders alike. The fact New Atricis ended up with the sick and the latest batch of Weyrlings had been a surprise but upon seeing the uniqueness of many of the newly hatched dragons Shyran could guess why. Her time here had taught her dragons came in many different forms and sport colours wasn't impossible. Nor were they useless as it was clear Igenites thought they were.

She had did her best to help out and was glad to see most were getting settled and Atricis's Healers were making headway on curing the sick. Shyran had seen the wingless blue and wondered if it would be better to train him to serve in the Day Wher Guard as he could never fight Thread like other dragons. Then again he may not fit in as well as dragons just couldn't run as fast as a wher. It was a thought she kept bouncing around in her head.

Shyran finished off cleaning her apartment, something she liked to do on a regular basis just in case she had visitors. Her assorted collection of fancy flits were already fed and taken care of, most off flying and enjoying the day except Baster, her albino. He didn't like sunshine and spent most of his days inside the apartment to the point Shyran wondered if he wouldn't have been happier Impressing to a Wherhandler instead of a Daywherhandler. Not that she could hand him off to another owner nor did she truly want to. All of her pets were special to her and she would hate to lose any of them. Only Pacaran stood higher in her heart but that truly wasn't surprising given what she was.

She was just about to head over to Pacaran's wallow to brush it off when she heard a knock at her door. The Jewel Day Wher had gone out earlier to meet with some of his Packmates while Shyran cleaned, wanting to avoid the dust and strong scent of the cleaner she used. Shyran wasn't bothered by the smell as it didn't smell that strong to her but she knew whers had a far stronger sense of smell then humans did. Wiping her hands off on a clean cloth Shyran headed for the door and threw it open, uncertain on who would be calling on her as she wasn't expecting any visitors. The moment she saw who stood before her door Shyran froze in surprise.

It had been Turns since she last seen Shiravani and that time had been one of the worse moments of her life. Shiravani had lost her Day Wher to a feline attack and Shyran and helped her put Roavani to rest. After that she had done her best to comfort her friend but in the end Shiravani had vanished and Shyran feared the worse. Fortunately she had learned Shiravani was alive and had left New Atricis because it was too hard to remain, something Shyran could understand. Everywhere her friend looked it would remind her of who she lost and new surroundings could only help with the healing process. Ever since Shyran had respected Shiravani's wishes and didn't come looking for her or send any of her fair to watch over her but that didn't mean Shyran didn't miss her friend and worried about her.

"Shiravani, you've come back!" Shyran got out before rushing forward to hug her. "I'm so glad to see you," Shyran exclaimed before ending the hug and stepping back. "Come on in, tell me everything!"
Ember

Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:15 pm

She returned the embrace with one of her own, a smile on her face as the two exchanged the show of friendly affection. It felt good to be in the presence of her friend again, and she looked forward to spending some time in her company, regardless of how long they ended up being together. "I came as soon as I was able to. I'm sorry it wasn't sooner, but... I had other things I needed to tend to." How long had it been since she'd been here? Oh, she knew, she would always know and remember - it was hard not to think of those moments when she'd last been at Atricis, when things had been happy here. It wasn't as painful to think about her life during that time, though things were happy now for different reasons.

She stepped inside, as invited, and looked around, then turned and faced Shyran with that same smile she'd had on her face when they'd hugged. "There's so much to tell, to share. I hope you've got some wine and snacks on hand because I'll have you up late with everything I have to tell." She gave a little laugh and dried the corners of her eyes which had started to grow damp at the thought of some of it. "Faranth, its been too long... I'm sorry... I'm sorry for going, first of all. But it was something i'd needed to do at the time."
Dragonfolk
Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
I can be found on Discord @ Ember#8349 ~ feel free to drop be a message even if I'm on DND.
LdyPayne
Tag Status:

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:42 am

"I'm sure there's plenty of things for both of us to catch up on and as far as I'm concerned we can spend all night doing so. Pacaran and I have a Freeday tomorrow so we won't be needed for patrols." Shyran doubted she would be able to sleep in, she did have responsibilities to her Daywher not to mention all her other pets but she will gladly be tired to spend time with her friend.

"I do have some snacks and wine here, I always try to keep some on hand for visitors," she assured her. Shyran had bought the wine to celebrate a special occasion and the return of her best friend was the perfect occasion. "Don't you be worrying about being gone for so long, I perfect understand why you needed to. Now it just gives us more things to catch up on."

"Make yourself comfortable and I'll get some snacks and the wine so we can get started." Shyran slipped off and headed for the small storeroom she had where she kept some food. There was one corner than tended to stay cool, especially after she dug herself a small 'cold room' through the floor. It was barely enough to hold a skin or two of wine and some cheese but it was better than nothing. It didn't work as well when it was exceptionally hot but far better than anywhere else in her cottage.

Taking the wineskin, a roll of cheese and some left over biscuits she managed to take from the kitchen she headed back into the main area and placed it at her table. Taking a plate and knife she sliced the cheese, split the biscuits in half and laid them all around one plate. She then opened the wine to let it breath before pouring out two goblets.

"Tell me everything, please." Shyran asked her friend as soon as she finished laying out her modest spread of snacks and wine. Sitting down she looked at her friend, amazed at all the little changes in her appearance since the last time she saw her.
Ember

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:49 am

She smoothed her hands over her legs and smiled, thanking her for the wine when it was offered to her. She was so pleased to hear that she was still with Pacaran, and hoped to hear that her place with the daywhers was still as solid as ever, if not more so. Perhaps she wanted to think more about that, and divert attention from herself if she was able to, because it was easier to focus on than what she'd been through the last little while. it hadn't been all bad though, and she found herself smiling in an almost foolish manner as she considered that special little thing she'd received from it all.

"I spent some time in the south." She finally said, sipping from her wine after. "Not forever, mind you, but long enough. Bonded to more lizards, I have a menagerie of blue things following me around now." She laughed at that and glanced inside of her cup, fondness spearing her chest as she thought about her pets. "Went North, traveled about for a while, all with caravans so I was safe." She paused for a moment, hesitated really, as she thought about what had taken place during the one stay. How she had met someone, felt things for them, how she had left so suddenly when she realized it...

She quickly started to drink before her throat could tighten more. "Then I went to the Weaver's Hall, obtained my Journey knots in the craft, which feels good. I have... a little girl now too. Her name is Rhaeryne, and she's the light of my life." She smiled still, laughed when she realized it was starting to turn a bit silly, and shook her head. "My dad is here... don't know if you know that, but he's taken to being a grandfather rather well. I'll have to introduce you to her sometime soon. She's a gem, a real little doll."

She set her cup aside and smiled as she reached for a bit of cheese and a biscuit. "That about does it all." She shifted and curled up her legs, knowing there was more, so much more, that she wasn't sure about sharing. She just didn't want to share those low moments, didn't want to ruin this happy reunion with her friend by bringing them both down. So she tried not to think about it all and instead, focused on the good. "What about you? Tell me everything, every last thing."

Dragonfolk
Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
LdyPayne
Tag Status:

Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:06 pm

It came as not surprise to Shyran about Shiravani staying in the South for awhile before she headed North. As soon as Shyran realized her friend had left the Weyr after losing her Daywher, she had sent out her fair of firelizards to look for her, worried Shiravani would do harm to herself. Eventually she did hear back from her and was asked to respect her privacy. When Shyran was convinced Shiravani didn't intend to end her life over her lost, Shyran left her alone to find her own path. Since thing it had been hard not to send her firelizards to check up on her, even if they made not attempt at communicating with her.

The rest of what Shiravani said was newss and the Jewelhandler listened well to what her friend had to say. Shyran wasn't sure she'll agree travelling with caravans up in the North was safe but what did she know about things up there? Shyran was born and raised in Walled Hold, along with her family for generations. To them the North was a mystical place where the Ancients were said to have gone to find them a new home. Despite all she knew about New Atricis and the dragonriders here Shyran still felt Northern riders may very well be descendants from the Ancients themselves. As one's believes weren't the subject of conversation Shyran wasn't thinking about them at this moment, instead she was absorbing all her friend was telling her and noticing there were plenty of things still unsaid. Shyran wasn't going to push Shiravani to talk about what she left unsaid, figuring those details will come out in time.

"You have a daughter?" Shyran exclaimed when her friend mentioned her. "Oh you must bring her over some time, I would love to meet her. Rhaeryne is such a pretty name. Congratulations on being a mother and for getting your Journeywoman Knots." She poured them both more wine and raised her goblet up. "Here's to children and a successful career."

Shyran didn't recall Shiravani's father being at New Atricis, in fact she was pretty sure her father was at Benden Weyr. Not that it would be unusual for riders to transfer and she didn't keep track of dragonriders in general being a Daywherhandler. "It's good to hear your father is glad to be a grandfather and has a chance to be with your daughter. Did you leave the father up North?" Shyran wasn't going to pry on how that relationship currently stand nor judge if Rhaeryne had resulted over a one time fling. Though her own parents were married and were loyal to eachother she knew that wasn't always the case at New Atricis, mostly due to dragon mating flights and sometimes with Wher and Daywher handlers. Her own relationship hadn't lasted as long as she hoped nor did they wait till any strong commitment before having sex. Then again that first encounter was spurred on by their mating Daywhers, not that Shyran minded at all nor did she regret it. It hadn't resulted in a child through, something she wasn't certain was a good or bad thing. Either way, it didn't happen and whether she'll find somebody else special and start a family or get back with Darrow, remained to be seen.

"Oh nothing much has been going on with me, pretty much the same old thing," Shyran began, then took a sip of her wine, realizing just how long it had been since Shiravani was gone. "Plenty of things have happened however, we finally dealt with those Felines who caused so much trouble. Turns out they were human bred and trained, a pack of Rogues had been trying to lay claim to a mine and hoped to scare us away with them. A group of Nightwhers discovered a camp and captured some Rogues and learned the truth. After that we drove them off and we've not had any trouble with them since."

"Since then patrols have been pretty quiet," Shyran said. She didn't want to talk too much about life as a Daywher Handler to avoid bringing sad memories forward. But one part of her life she couldn't skip. "Darrow and I were an item for awhile, Pacaran chased and was chosen by his Argow and ever since then we were together at least till recently. With all the trouble at Walled Hold, he ended things with me so he could go back home and see to his family's safety. My own family is alright, they have managed to escape any trouble with the Legion or their neighbours." There wasn't much else she knew as her family were keeping rather closed lipped and their messages had been short and filled with reassurances all were alive and well. Shyran didn't know if they were just worried about saying anything just in case the message was intercepted or didn't want to upset her. Either way she still worried about them.

"No children for me yet, but hopefully some day," Shyran added. "So, tell me about your father if you wish, when did he come to New Atricis?"

Ember

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:00 pm

"Things at Walled are becoming that bad?" Oh no... she hadn't heard of that, though perhaps she should have been paying more attention - but between tending to her commissions and tending to her daughter, it wasn't really a surprise that something might slip through the cracks. She reached over to give her friend's hand a little touch before leaning back again, happy at first to hear about her and Darrow until it soaked in that there had been a breaking of the relationship, and then her heart sank for Shyran. "Have you heard if he intends to return? Are you two still in touch?" Perhaps it wasn't best if they spoke of the matter, but she hoped her friend wouldn't mind her asking about the other handler.

One thing to be glad of though was the fact that the rogues were dealt with, and a part of her wished she had been there for that, even though she wouldn't trade in having Rhaeryne for anything. She placed a hand over her mouth and then her chest as she considered it a moment, and then she glanced down in her cup. Perhaps it had been hurried off, the subject, but... "Its okay to talk about it, the rogues, what happened. I still think about it, and him." The smile on her face was slight, and bittersweet, but there wasn't the pain on her face that might have been there before. "I decided I had to continue to live, because that's what he would have wanted of me, his Shiravani, his love."

She did swallow a bit of extra wine when she took a drink, but made no comment on it, and maybe a part of her that she had buried was glad when the subject was finally re-directed once again. "Aye, my father has been here a few months now. I'm not sure exactly when. I just know that when I arrived, it had been a while according to him, and prior to what had happened at Igen." She was glad to talk about him, and settled in to do so. "He's a good man. Impressed at New Atricis when several of us kids were just babies, then went back to Benden some time after because Mom..."

She stopped a moment, and found her throat tighten. She held up a finger and finished her drink, then held the empty cup out for more. "Please." She asked, voice tight. "Mom... wanted to go back. I think that's how it went anyway. He ended up as the Weyrlingmaster for a while before..." She stopped again and found herself breaking down, and had to step the cup down before it could even be filled. "Mom died while I was gone, Shyran. I'm sorry, I shoudln't be talking about this when we've just reunited... I'm sorry..."

Dragonfolk
Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
LdyPayne
Tag Status:

Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:57 pm

With rumours of what would likely be a civil war of some sort, things at Walled were coming to a head. She really hadn't heard much details as her folks were staying as much out of it as they can. So far their business hadn't been affected but a time may come when they will have to chose sides, or risk having their livelihood threatened.

"Darrow isn't certain if he'll return," Shyran responded. It hurt to have him end things and leave, even Pacaran had been upset as he really did care about Argow and would miss her. She did hope Darrow will return but the way he wanted to leave things between them made it clear he didn't want her waiting for his return. A part of her felt he was being selfish as she could very well consider him worth the wait. Now, she wondered if he felt she was worth coming back to, despite all that was said between them prior to the unrest at Walled came to a head. "I haven't heard from him in awhile but I do hope to get a message to him soon, just to let him know I am thinking about him."

It wasn't difficult to see talking about her mother was upsetting Shiravani and as things progressed Shyran found out why it was upsetting her friend. As soon as Shiravani mentioned her mother had passed while she was gone, Shyran rose and sat next to her friend and gave her a hug.

"You have nothing to be sorry about," Shyran said softly. "Losing a mother can't be easy and there's no shame in feeling upset. I'm just glad to be here for you now since I wasn't able to be there for you when you found out."

Ember

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:19 pm

She wasn't sure if it upset her friend a lot to not have Darrow around, but she could tell it wasn't an easy thing at the very least - there was worry, concern, especially with those rumors about Walled bleeding in, she was certain. "I'm sure you'll hear from him soon." She couldn't be entirely certain of that, neither of them could, and if things didn't turn out the way they both hoped, then she would be there to support Shyran, without a doubt. "Perhaps sending him a message might help soothe you, see what you may or may not get in return rather than having to sit and wait on it?" It might get things over and done with sooner, she thought to herself.

She was glad for the comfort and nearness of her friend, and leaned her head on Shyran's shoulder once she was next to her. It felt good to have this moment of support and she sighed. "Thank you for being here. Thank you for opening your door when I knocked. Things are better, I promise." She lifted her head and set her hands on her legs, glancing around and trying her best to smile even as tears gathered in her eyes - for her mother, for the missed chance to see her one last time. "I've missed you so much, my friend."

Then, she started to chuckle and shake her head as she wiped her eyes. "I probably did, but have I mentioned how glad I am to be back at the Weyr? I didn't realize I would miss the food as much as I did!" She was trying to push the feelings away, trying to brighten things up, not wanting to wallow in her friend's company anymore than she had.

Dragonfolk
Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image
LdyPayne
Tag Status:

Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:38 pm

Shyran was sure it wouldn't be too difficult for one of her more reliable firelizards to track down Darrow, no matter where he was now. They all knew Argow as well and the Wher could easily point out where Darrow was should they not be together. Argow was well out of Pacaran's reach to communicate with and had been for quite some time. That didn't mean her firelizards couldn't find Darrow, they were quite good at seeking people out once they knew who they were looking for. Now wasn't the time to be writing letters however.

"I will write him a letter and send it off, I have more than enough fancy flits to send messages with."

It felt good to have her friend back, Shyran missed Shiravani more than she realized. With Darrow gone it was good to have at least one other close friend here with her. Shyran was sad for her friend losing her mother especially considering it wasn't long after Roavani died.

"You are always welcome to come to my door and I would never refuse a friend in need," Shyran assured her. She then stayed quiet to give Shiravani all the time she needed to recover from remembering the loss of her mother. Shyran didn't mind the subject change nor the more lighter topic. For all the sadness in the past there was still plenty of happy things to talk about.

"The food here is very good, no argument there," Shyran answered with a chuckle. "I'm glad you are back, things just weren't the same without you."